ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:00 am 
Novice
Novice

Say for instance you would perform a heavy squat rest 1.5mins then perform a pull up and rest 1.5 minutes before performing a another set of squats? Mike Boyle does this and it seems to save time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:01 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I do something like this and Wendler has mentioned he does chin/pullups between every core movement work set (i'm not sure if he was being 100% truthful rather than emphasizing balance with pushing movements).

I'm do 5-3-1 along with what seems like 90% of this board and below is what i do regarding super/inter setting:

squat day:
either chins or pullups, sometimes calf raises

bench day:
pullups/chins

deadlift day:
facepulls-sets of 20

overhead press day:
side raises or chins/pullups

This isn't set in stone. Sometimes i need to 3-5 minutes between the major lifts solely for rest.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:10 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Personally I would pick the exercises very carefully. Squats are very hard to superset when doing max effort work. Problem comes with recovery. Squat is really taxing on the whole body, especially on the back, so if you happen to superset squats with pull-ups or similar upper body exercise, it also works on the back muscles. Then you'll never get enough rest for a couple of your muscles = no recovery = no results/several failures + injury risk. For max effort you need more rest, 1.5 minutes isn't enough in most cases. Of course if bw pull-ups/chin-ups are quite light to you the harm isn't so bad. But atleast in my case that does not come to question.

I think the same problem lies within the Bench and Deadlift also. Both of these are full body movements with numerous big muscles working, either supporting or doing the major work. But if one of these muscles is too tired to work max effort, again, the risk of injury grows and the movement most likely fails.

You can always try it out for yourself. For me, it wouldn't work.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:14 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

i do that, not those exercises necessarily but I'd do rows between sets of presses, and curls between sets of extensions. Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:52 pm 

I have often done what Bob mentions, supersetting accessory lifts, but only a few times have I done chins with bench. Squat or DL, I don't even have the energy to think about any other lift during the rests. For DL, it's the only exercise I do at all on that day.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Deadlift / skull crushers
Squats / ( PallofPress, Curls, Lateral Raises )
DB Decline Press / Sgl Hand Cable Pulldown
Hang High Pull & C&P / Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs
Bench Press / DB Rows
DB Step Ups / Rear Delt Row
Shrugs / Planks

Latest tweak I have made is to make my program about 90% "pairs". Saves time and keep my heart up a bit. I just need to keep in mind my equipmentm, i.e. can't Bench and DL together. Tabata work and BB Glute Thrust is about all I dont pair up at this time..

Tonight I'm lkely re configurating to tri-setting uppder body push/pulling, incorporating 2 pulls and 1 push. Something like:

Face Pulls lighter 2 sets
Press Warm Up
Press Light Set -- > Ramp sets of 5/3, Intersetted with Wide Grip Lat Pull Downs
End with a set of a bit heavier Face Pulls.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:28 pm 

Dub wrote:
Personally I would pick the exercises very carefully. Squats are very hard to superset when doing max effort work. Problem comes with recovery. Squat is really taxing on the whole body, especially on the back, so if you happen to superset squats with pull-ups or similar upper body exercise, it also works on the back muscles. Then you'll never get enough rest for a couple of your muscles = no recovery = no results/several failures + injury risk. For max effort you need more rest, 1.5 minutes isn't enough in most cases. Of course if bw pull-ups/chin-ups are quite light to you the harm isn't so bad. But atleast in my case that does not come to question.

I think the same problem lies within the Bench and Deadlift also. Both of these are full body movements with numerous big muscles working, either supporting or doing the major work. But if one of these muscles is too tired to work max effort, again, the risk of injury grows and the movement most likely fails.

You can always try it out for yourself. For me, it wouldn't work.
This may be part of my problem. I was throwing in a few chins after every set of squats, then resting 2-3 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:03 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I work out that way sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:30 am 
Novice
Novice

I find when I do do this, my strength doesn't suffer.

Here is a typical split I do sometimes when I want more volume but dont have alot of time.
Day 1
A1 back squat
A2 Pull up
B1 Lunge
B2 Row
Biceps

Day 2
C1 RDL
C2 Bench
D1 Glute Ham
D2 Shoulder press
Triceps