ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:07 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I bought a 70 buck set a while back and used it about 5 times, but found using my fake bowflex (weider) with a few dumbbells easier to use. Can a decent workout be had with these things for a 64 year old f@@t? One plus is that I could use them in the house instead of the weider in the cold garage. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:54 pm 

I couldn't any reference to B-lastic but I'm going to assume your meant bodylastic.

Assuming you have a high anchor, either the top of the door or an eye-bolt in the ceiling, you should be able get a whole body workout with them. There should be a booklet that came with the package. Do a series of exercises that follow the basic movements, squat, deadlift, vertical and horizontal press and push. You will need to do bodyweight exercises in order to complete the circuit but that doesn't need any extra equipment. The main exercises that you need the bands for are for rows. You can either do pull downs with your upper body in a vertical position, or lying on the floor. If you're strong enough to actually pull yourself up, you will need to either add weight to your body, anchor yourself to the floor or get a chin up bar.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:32 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
I couldn't any reference to B-lastic but I'm going to assume your meant bodylastic.

Assuming you have a high anchor, either the top of the door or an eye-bolt in the ceiling, you should be able get a whole body workout with them. There should be a booklet that came with the package. Do a series of exercises that follow the basic movements, squat, deadlift, vertical and horizontal press and push. You will need to do bodyweight exercises in order to complete the circuit but that doesn't need any extra equipment. The main exercises that you need the bands for are for rows. You can either do pull downs with your upper body in a vertical position, or lying on the floor. If you're strong enough to actually pull yourself up, you will need to either add weight to your body, anchor yourself to the floor or get a chin up bar.

I didn't want to look like I was pimping bodylastics, but yeah thats the one. I was thinking of just replacing the weider with the bands, but wanted to get some input from others if they actually used them, and what they thought. Kind of nice to have the whole workout in a small bag, but the weider is easier and much more accurate in getting the exact weight/resistance down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm 

Depending on your strength level, you can get a good workout without going out to the cold. I just browsed their leg exercises and they don't look very good. Stepping up onto a chair is probably better than the exercises they have listed. Use them to augment bodyweight exercises.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:12 pm 
Novice
Novice

Resistance bands can be used to do some pretty good assisted pistols. You can see how here: http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/tutorials/38

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can't do everything those, but they are pretty useful. I have a set of those myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:02 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

If there is anyone who knows about a weider max with a preacher attachment, and if they have used the BL's, in your opinion would the BL thake the place of the weider? Wouldn't mind getting it out of the garage.