ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gym Wish List...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:13 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ok, so I know at some point all of you have joined gyms. I also know that at some point, for guys who lift often, you've said, "I wish my gym had (x)." I'm building a gym, which in addition to catering to the serious lifter with items such as 100lbs plates, heavy rated bars, chains, and strongman equipment, works with youth development as well....I'm looking for the collective wisdom to see what equipment most gyms don't have that you would love to see. Feel free to think outside of the box, whatever works....I'm getting a large warehouse as the forum, with a bullpen in the back...I intend to have an open area indoors for strongman training, as it snows here and is pretty cold in the winter.

Post subject: Re: Gym Wish List...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:49 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Glute Ham Raise is the first thing that springs to mind. It's always listed on articles as an awesome accessory exercise for squats and deadlifts. Never seen one.

And a prowler.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:00 am 

One item that I've noticed that gyms like Defranco's or Cressey's have is an indoor stretch of AstroTurf or carpeting. They can use that for sled pushing/draging, farmers walks, sprints, warmups, etc. I would suggest you take one whole side of your warehouse and dedicate it for that purpose.

Edit: while looking for a picture of Cressey's gym I came across this: http://www.ericcressey.com/why-the-gyms ... s-thriving
The bottom line: Invest in your people.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:41 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I'd love to design my own gym. Maybe some bumper plates? They're not cheap though.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Space, so you can move freely without hindering anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:51 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, I wouldn't mind bumper plates, but I can do fine without them. I would love a decline bench, and I would love being allowed to use chalk. Right now, I use paper towels for my heavy lifts, heh. Gives me callouses, but it prevents slippery hands due to sweat.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the responses, and to address many of those ideas at once, some of the elements that I had intended to include were a space just for the strongman stuff, and an indoor space so it can be used during the winter, as it snows here and is cold. the space I'm gunning for is a 10,000 sq. ft. warehouse that is completely open, and is set up perfectly, so space shouldn't be an issue. Chalk is absolutely allowed, as is grunting, growling, and yelling while lifting. I've heard that some gyms will actually kick the serious lifters out because they don't "fit the image." Not at my place. I'm also setting up some space in the bullpen outside (or planning to at this point) for some other stuff like sledgehammer swinging. Keep the ideas coming.....also, what about for protein shakes and/or food? What do you think about having a little kitchenette type area with some counterspace, a fridge, and a sink, a couple of blenders?....Or do you think making and selling shakes is preferable?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:50 pm 

You probably want to have a selection of protein powders and supplements for sale. You could sell shakes as well. That would take a person to staff it but it's an opportunity for a little profit. Maybe better is to sublet a corner to a third party to manage it. Let someone else take the risk.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:22 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ive considered the option of leasing out a small space to a supplement store, but ultimately I'm looking for a wish list, what you would prefer, what you would like to see. It's just things for me to consider that I may not have already in terms of additions or features that other gyms might be missing, or that they may even have and you think is uncommon, but you love having it there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:51 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I'd think an area where clients can have drinks and chat, would be essential.
That way people wouldn't just come to you do to their workouts, but also for the social environment.
This would mean that people stay longer at your place => more chance that they'll talk other people into getting a membership.

Also sell all kinds of supplements at the bar: ZMA, whey, casein, creatine, ...
and the option that they can order supplements you don't have in stock.

This way your gym won't just be a gym, but also the place where they can hang out and get everything they need to do their workouts.

And sell the essential books too: starting strenght, 5/3/1, ..., arnold's book

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:27 am 

I disagree with Wout about the social crap, but then again I'm an anit-social @$$h0l3.

I second the space for a prowler.

You hardly ever see a deadlift plate loader, gotta have one.

Decent collars, or enough of 'em.

A sign that says, "If you are too stupid to put the plates back where they belong, you are too stupid to lift here."

I like the little kitchenette idea. Have a cold water dispenser, a sink and sell belder bottle. That really all you need. No seats or tables to sit down, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:48 am 

I completely agree with Hoose about the social club idea. Is this a gym or a starbucks? Fair enough a fridge with some protein shakes (met rx make some pretty good ready made ones) that you could charge a couple of bucks for, but as for selling supps like ZMA or books, I really don't see the need.

Just a water fountain people can fill water or shaker bottles would be fine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:34 pm 

I'd like a social area if I were there. Finish lifting, sit down a gab for a few minutes. Breed, when I get closer to retirement, I'm going to press you to tell me exactly where you are, cause I want to join your gym, and I know that you are in my home state!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm 

woah doc for a second there i thought you said "finish lifting, gab for a few minutes, breed"...

I still think the social club's a bad idea. It sets a dangerous precedent. What's next? Juice bar? Wi-fi? Might as well install a lunk alarm while you're at it

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:05 pm 

robertscott wrote:
woah doc for a second there i thought you said "finish lifting, gab for a few minutes, breed"...

I still think the social club's a bad idea. It sets a dangerous precedent. What's next? Juice bar? Wi-fi? Might as well install a lunk alarm while you're at it

The old "slippery slope" argument! Naw. Not a social club, just a place to sit and visit for a little while. The chairs would be ugly and uncomfortable. A coffee pot, but no juice bar. No wi fi, at least not for non-staff. Don't see how any of that would lead to a lunk alarm. Maybe some cool sound effect that would play when someone sets a new PR.

Never mind, Half-Breed. I don't want to know where you gym is. I'm building my own!