Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Please advise and don't pull punches
very new at this lift

same lift, 3 different weights

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:56 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Get your glutes and abs tighter on the overhead press, your back looks like it's arching a bit much but it's hard to tell so I could be wrong.

Also, I would personally just do a hang clean into a press. That's one rep. Repeat. That's really just personal preference though. I think the main benefit of a high pull is you can load it up a bit heavier than a clean, so by going from a high pull into a press you're kinda limiting the weight you're using on the high pull, because you have to press it. See what I mean? I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong necessarily, just thinking out loud.

Form on the high pull looks good to me though.

As for that sweatband...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:41 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
Get your glutes and abs tighter on the overhead press, your back looks like it's arching a bit much but it's hard to tell so I could be wrong.
Well, I am a bit fat and have some lordosis, but I agree, not tight. I was focusing on the high Pull and my wife filming. Bad Oscar.
I'm actually pleased with the angle of the arms, afraid I was pushing it more forward than straight up, given shoulder issues in the past and lack of some mobility.

robertscott wrote:
Also, I would personally just do a hang clean into a press. That's one rep. Repeat.
For now, High Pulls are where my pressing is. I see so much variatino in form, though. Christian T goes high, whereas some basically power shrug and don't hardly get past belly button. The reason I do all the High Pulls first in the set, is I don't like the part where you lower the bar, until I get that worked out better, it irritates the elbow/forearm. Eventually, I'll split it as you say, if High Pulls move much past Pressing.

robertscott wrote:
Form on the high pull looks good to me though.

Awesome!
robertscott wrote:
As for that sweatband...

Even in 60 degree garage, I wear it. It gets me in the mood. At least I put shorts on before filming this time

Ok, only one opinion so far?
You all suck
Help me out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm 

The shorts are a big improvement.

I usually stop the high pull at chest height. If you can get it to your shoulders, you might as well rack it. The fact that you can then press it also tells me that you're not using enough weight.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Last edited by stuward on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:09 pm 

Stu's comments about the shorts made me larf, I'll add a little to what we talked about:

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Well, I am a bit fat and have some lordosis, but I agree, not tight. I was focusing on the high Pull and my wife filming. Bad Oscar.
I'm actually pleased with the angle of the arms, afraid I was pushing it more forward than straight up, given shoulder issues in the past and lack of some mobility.

Well at least you know what to do, that's fine. I actually push my arms back a little instead of just straight up. The way I've heard it described is to think of your arms making a triangle for your body to move through.

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
For now, High Pulls are where my pressing is. I see so much variatino in form, though. Christian T goes high, whereas some basically power shrug and don't hardly get past belly button. The reason I do all the High Pulls first in the set, is I don't like the part where you lower the bar, until I get that worked out better, it irritates the elbow/forearm. Eventually, I'll split it as you say, if High Pulls move much past Pressing.

that's cool, you'll probably find you get stronger on the high pulls loads faster than the press. I know what you mean about form variation, I actually pull mine a little lower than you. I stop about level with my shoulders. The great thing about high pulls is they're pretty much impossible to do wrong.

And what you're saying about lowering hurting the elbow and shoulder is actually why I don't do heavy clean and press anymore. Hurts my shoulder on the way down and I'm not sure how to fix that

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Even in 60 degree garage, I wear it. It gets me in the mood. At least I put shorts on before filming this time

I think you should make it your signature move to always wear something ridiculous in every video you post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:28 pm 
Novice
Novice

You are not getting full hip extension. I wouldn't even bother with this movement until you can get you get good hip extension. It's not a weight issue with you, it's a hip strength/ mobility thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:08 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
I usually stop the high pull at chest height. If you can get it to your shoulders, you might as well rack it. The fact that you can then press it also tells me that you're not using enough weight.

I dont rack because it accumulates soreness in elbow to unrack.
I'm moving up weight each time but felt as an explosive move, I wanted to confirm form, before hurting myself. Also, absent filming, I did not realize I was getting it that high. I may be teaching myself to use more trap and less hip though, if so, that's a drawback.

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
You are not getting full hip extension. I wouldn't even bother with this movement until you can get you get good hip extension. It's not a weight issue with you, it's a hip strength/ mobility thing.
What cues are you using to see that? Thank you for input! I have not felt hip mobility limitation in my squats, for example. Although, with Glute Thrusts, hmmm, I may not push up the butt (full extension).. interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I would do them separately. You need to lean back a bit on the high pull. The bar should come up and hit you right on the chin if you don't have your head back. So try to hit yourself right on the chin, but keep your head back so you don't actually do that. You should have momentum where you almost lift off your feet. This is technically a hang pull I am describing though since you never actually rack or put it on the floor. Then in a separate lift try a hang clean and press. Go heavy enough to where you have to dip down under it, then lift up with your lower body, and use that momentum to help with the press.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:14 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Ok, only one opinion so far?
You all suck
Help me out!

I have many opinions, but you probably aren't interested in most of them.

I know nothing about this exercise. I know, I know. That usually doesn't keep me from commenting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm trying to be like this guy, except hanging, as opposed to cleaning

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-traini ... from-floor

Ironman,
I'm starting simpler, without having to mess with the racking. I'll need to work on the flexibility/mobility. For I want to learn it, if for nothing else, I'd like to be able to front squat properly. Mainly I put this in to have a power move in the program. Combining with Press saves some time for now as the weight is similar atm.
Finally, I might say it it appears I may be coming closer to knocking myself out in the last one, perhaps with the lighter weight, I let it swing out too much. With more weight, better form will be forced.. perhaps.

And, by gosh, I think I extend pretty well.

Thanks to all!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:00 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I like the headband.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I'm trying to be like this guy, except hanging, as opposed to cleaning

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-traini ... from-floor

Ironman,
I'm starting simpler, without having to mess with the racking. I'll need to work on the flexibility/mobility. For I want to learn it, if for nothing else, I'd like to be able to front squat properly. Mainly I put this in to have a power move in the program. Combining with Press saves some time for now as the weight is similar atm.
Finally, I might say it it appears I may be coming closer to knocking myself out in the last one, perhaps with the lighter weight, I let it swing out too much. With more weight, better form will be forced.. perhaps.

And, by gosh, I think I extend pretty well.

Thanks to all!

I can't see the video at work but CT doesn't strike me as an expert in Oly lifts. That said, this is the page on our site http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... gPull.html and your performance looked pretty similar. It's not wrong, and as you gain weight on the bar, the bar won't come up as high. There are a couple of videos on YouTube where the bar doesn't come up past the waist. In one example he racked the bar in a full squat on the second pull. You'll probably find it if you poke around. I'mm post a link tonight if you can't find it.

I think your extention was pretty good too.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 am 

CT's background is actually in Olympic lifting, guy knows his stuff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:55 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Wouter wrote:
I like the headband.
you are awesome!
stuward wrote:
In one example he racked the bar in a full squat on the second pull. You'll probably find it if you poke around. I'mm post a link tonight if you can't find it.
I have seen that one, maybe 350 pound or so.
So what makes a high pull? I guess, if you can get under it, it qualfies, ya? Until I actually worry about the drop down and rack in a squat, I'll consider mid torso to be sufficient.
robertscott wrote:
CT's background is actually in Olympic lifting, guy knows his stuff
Good to know.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm not claiming to be an expert in oly lifting, but it seems to me that you aren't getting full extension because the weight is sort of being flung foward. Although a person's hips are pushed back on the decent, full hip extension will keep the bar close to the body because the trajectory will be up and not forward. I believe more postieror strength will help your form.