ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:55 pm 

I was thinking the weight comes too far in front of you as well. It's particularly noticable when you go up in weight. The bar appears to describe a significant arc when you rack it. I believe that with high pull/clean you want to have as little arc as possible; you snap your wrists around the axis of the bar and move under it to catch. It's been amazingly hard to practice this without a coach watching, using lower weights doesn't really help either.

You seem to get good hip extension, which is usually a problem the few times I have tried to help others with their cleans/high pulls. I think transitioning to cleans and grooving the motion will bring the bar closer in, the feel is VERY different when you catch it right. Until you do that I think it's going to be hard to get the physical cues and force feedback you need to judge bar path.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:21 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

BlazingAirMAx wrote:
I'm not claiming to be an expert in oly lifting, but it seems to me that you aren't getting full extension because the weight is sort of being flung foward. Although a person's hips are pushed back on the decent, full hip extension will keep the bar close to the body because the trajectory will be up and not forward. I believe more postieror strength will help your form.

While I no doubt need more strength everywherre, it's hard for me to think 100 lbs is taxing my hip extenstion. I can deadlift a measely 318. Sucks, but still. I'm trying to jsut let my arms hang and let the momentum from the hips/ankle/shoulder extension pull the bar. I'm trying to not turn it into a front raise (while the bar is light enough to do that) Maybe I need to let the elbows bend more, to the outside (turn them outward?)

I appreciate the input and I will take it all in.
Even those that can't appreciate my awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:59 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm not sure about the full extension thing, but it I agree about the bar path - it seems as though the reverse curl movement is creeping in. Are you trying to shrug the bar? It doesn't look like your shoulders are coming up in the videos.

You'll nail it with a bit more practice. Think about pulling up, not out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:12 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

jms wrote:
I'm not sure about the full extension thing, but it I agree about the bar path - it seems as though the reverse curl movement is creeping in. Are you trying to shrug the bar? It doesn't look like your shoulders are coming up in the videos.

You'll nail it with a bit more practice. Think about pulling up, not out.

More power shrug + hip, and less swing and curl.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:23 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I saw this article over at T-Nation this morning, and it reminded me of this thread - thought some of you might enjoy it. I have just started incorporating high pulls the last couple weeks, and I am loving them so far.

N

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_clean_high_pull

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:41 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

thanks dude!!