Good 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Bad 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care because I'm a mean fence sitter. 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

robertscott wrote:
if hypertrophy is your goal then yes, definitely increase the volume. As a general rule, you should do 3-5 sets of 3-5 exercises per bodypart. This is more guideline than rule, so while you would want to do 3-5 exercises a week for your chest, you wouldn't need that many for your arms seeing as they get used so much in pushing/pulling movements. 3 sets of curls/extensions at the end of a session will be fine.

So I figure you mean something like this:
Push
Quads 3x6
Chest 3x6
Quads 3x6
Chest 3x6
Shoulders 3x6
Calves 3x12
Shoulders 3x6
Triceps 3x12

Pull
Back 3x6
Hamstrings 3x12
Back 3x6
Biceps 3x12
Traps 3x12
Abs 3x12

So I figure body parts are organised like Quads, Hamstrings, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Calves, Triceps, Biceps and Abs

Or is it Thighs, Chest, Back, Shoulders, Arms, Calves and Abs?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:18 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

kinda, I don't really like your split. I think you'd be better with an upper/lower split. I wrote a bit about it in your other thread

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

robertscott wrote:
kinda, I don't really like your split. I think you'd be better with an upper/lower split. I wrote a bit about it in your other thread

Thanks. I got onto the push/pull split because I felt like it was less taxing compared the the upper/lower split I was doing. I think I like the look of what you have in my other thread except doesn't that mean each muscle is targeted only once a week?

EDIT: though after now completing my first session with only 24hr break between the push and pull I may need to re-evaluate how taxing it is. I'm sooorrrrreeeee. Wonder if I'll be able to walk tomorrow. :eek:

Last edited by MikeF on Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

robertscott wrote:

Oh I forgot to ask, what don't you like about it and why? Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

keep an open mind, there are plenty of protocols to follow

Full Body
Off
Full Body
Off
Upper
Lower
Off

is pretty cool, for example, too

Don't rush to pick a certain pattern.
Detemine what your needs are
Don't be fenced in by the "week", that is arbitrary for the most part. Maybe, you want to hit Chest every 4 days, and legs every 3 days, maybe its not practical, so, you make some compromises, but don't just lock in the a scheme and then shove the exercsies into it.

imo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:55 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Oh I wasn't meant to be coming across like I don't have an open mind... my only rush is to settle on a pattern so I can be consistent. I think I'm over analysing this too much. Also I live in a rural area so the gym is only open at certain times on certain days so I'm not completely free to lift how I would like to. I'm also trying to keep my weekends free to spend with my family.

I was rotating the sessions around a little more freely, and that's when my experiment with push/pull made me realise I felt less stuffed at the next gym session than when I was using the upper/lower split. Full body limited me to twice a week and I was only doing single work sets. I wasn't getting the hypertrophy benefits.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:38 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I did not try to imply you were closed minded towards ideas. I was trying to say that rather than thinking in tems of a locked in protocol, like Upper/Lower or Push Pull or Chest / Back / Shoulders / Legs, instead, consider the frequency, intensity, volume, etc that you progress the best. And maybe (likely) it's not the same for all muscles
However, if you have limitations for days you can go etc, that would trump much of this flexibility. Compromise is certainly as part of this