Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deadlift Form
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:43 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi All -

So I recently posted some videos asking for advice on my deadlift form. I got some great advice and the following deadlift session (my 5/3/ day) I went out with some things in mind that I thought would help, and video'ed myself again. I won't post the video, just say that the issues are still there, and worse under the heavier weight. Turns out that weight really is like a microscope for your form in that the greater the weight, the more the flaws are accentuated.

So my plan is to take the weight WAY down, and increase volume - this way I can work on form. The timing is good, since I start rugby training for the spring season in a couple weeks, so I shouldn't be pushing my limits on the lifts once that starts. I recently read about a conditioning program using deadlifts on T-Nation (oddly it was part of an article about bodyweight training) where you do 10-20 sets of 3-5 Deadlifts @ 50-65% of your max (he called it the "Green Ghost program" apparently the guy who came up with it was a martial artist who used it as a conditioning work-out - I googled around but I wasn't able to find much info on him - article linked below). I tried it once during an off week (I'm aware that makes no sense at all), and I felt like I got a great posterior chain work-out (I did about 15 sets of 4 at 225).

I am thinking this would be a great way to get a ton of reps in at a lighter weight, and observe/correct my form, but still keep some strength up, and maybe even gain a little mass - or at least prevent mass loss - during my season. So my question is, does anyone have experience with this, or a similar, lower weight/high rep programs for deads? How did they work? Does this sound like a sensible way to address the issue?

EDIT - ops, forgot to link the article: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4779249

Post subject: Re: Deadlift Form
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

It definitely does sound like a good way to address the issue. The general advice on any lift, when it is being done wrong, is to drop the weight and focus on form.
High volume deadlifts will also give you some good mass. In my experience, nothing builds back mass like high volume deadlifts.

There is one thing you need to watch though; if you do weights that will take you to failure, your form will still suffer on the later reps.
I would recommend you do drop the weight, but if you drop the weight to your, say.. 10RM, don't do 10 reps. Do 8, or 6.
When I do high volume deadlifts, the last couple of reps' form suffers(Not to the point that I'm risking hurting myself, but it's still there).

Drop the weights, do fewer reps than whatever X RM you drop down to, and focus on your form.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

personally, I would lift near my max at least some reps some of the time

Presuming you can get safe form, if not perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ice - What I was thinking of doing was 10 odd sets of five at 225, which is around 65% of my 1RM, so should be more or less a 12RM - That way none of the sets are going anywhere near failure, but still a challenging amount of volume if I use shorter rest periods.

Oscar - I agree, probably every 3/4 weeks I would go up to something challenging - but I will say that as I get older, and the injuries pile up I am getting less interested in pushing maxes :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:27 pm 

I would think that if you use bar speed as the criteria of when to stop the set you'll be OK. Once you start grinding the reps, your form is about to deteriorate. Start each rep from a dead stop without bouncing the bottom, since that leads to poor form as well.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:20 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Bacchus1979 wrote:
Hi All -

So my plan is to take the weight WAY down, and increase volume - this way I can work on form.

Muscle Firing Sequence

The problem is that the firing order sequence in a movement is different with low loads compared to high loads. Thus, you form is going to be a bit differen with low load compared to high loads.

To increase strength in a movement, you need train your techniques for single or doubles with loads that are 85% or greater.

Once your form deteriates, stop the exercise for that day.

Example:

Just because have excellent driving skills at 30 mph does not mean your going to have the same driving skills at 130 mph.

The only way to become good at drving at 130 mph is to drive in the mph area.

It is the same with lifting.

Kenny Croxdale