ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi, I'm finding it difficult to get any info on what increases & improves anaerobic glycolysis?.

Does it increase through supplementation?, exercises?, foods/drinks? etc. Can anyone give me any examples?.

Any info would be appreciated...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:53 pm 

Is this for a course? In order to improve any fitness attribute you need to practice it. Anaerobic glycolysis is used for short duration, high intensity exercise, like sprinting. If you want to get better, you have to sprint, or otherwise do very intense workouts.

If you want a supplement, try baking soda. Read Fred Hatfield's "Ultimate Sports Nutrition".

This site talks about it: http://ironpower.biz/sup/sup_energy2.htm
Quote:
PRECAUTIONS: CAN CAUSE EXPLOSIVE DIARRHOEA. USE ONLY FOR BIG EVENTS.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Last edited by stuward on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:10 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Improve glycolysis?

Glycolysis is a series of chemical reactions where the body breaks glucose into lactic acid (there is quite many reactions in the between, but still.)
Glycolysis reaches maximal output in seconds from the beginning of intensive Anaerobic work, there are varying in that too, depending from lots of things, like the intensity and the exerciser. But the time is somewhere between 5 and 120 seconds. As an energy development method it is quite short-termed, as you can produce continuous energy with glycolysis for only a few minutes, since your ATP-production must be on the same level as the amounts you mold ATP into energy. (circa. 30s-120s.) Interval training makes the energy last longer of course, since the purpose is to lower your pulse between reps. When totally maxing out, the recovery the varies somewhere from 15 minutes to an hour.

So what do you exactly want to improve? The recovery? The lasting?
High Intensity Interval Training and resistance training. Lots of carbs to keep your body fueled, maybe afterwards also. Burning fat isn't the case in this one, since the method is too slow (Afterwards you'll burn a ton, but that's another thing).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

[quote="stuward"]

If you want a supplement, try baking soda. Read Fred Hatfield's "Ultimate Sports Nutrition".

This site talks about it: http://ironpower.biz/sup/sup_energy2.htm
[quote]PRECAUTIONS: CAN CAUSE EXPLOSIVE DIARRHOEA. USE ONLY FOR BIG EVENTS.[/quote][/quote]

I'm scared of any big event where explosive diarrhea could be beneficial

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:04 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thankyou for the replies/links guys, appreciate it.

It's for sprinting. I'm being told to increase anaerobic glycolysis/muscle stiffness.

If baking soda works, what about creatine?, caffeine? etc.

Also with regards to baking soda, I know it's a high alkaline. Is it the high alkalinity that enhances the effect?.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 pm 

Creatine works too, possibly for the same reason as the baking soda. Yes it is alkaline. It acts as a buffer to the lactic acid. I'm not sure I would want to play with it but if it's legal in your sport, it may be worth the effort. Caffeine works as a stimulant.

Hard work and practice at sprinting is what you should spend most of your energy on. I expect that if you're being told to work on anaerobic glycolysis, then it's your finish in the 400 and 800 that is lacking. You really don't get into the lactic threshold with shorter distances and you would be told to work on your starting speed.

Here are some articles about training muscle stiffness.
http://maximum-maximorum.com/2010/07/29 ... lex-mtc/4/
http://edderic2016.blogspot.com/2009/03 ... -100m.html

I find it strange that you are given this kind of advice and not given a program to follow.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

call me suspicious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:08 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
I find it strange that you are given this kind of advice and not given a program to follow.

The program is all set. I was just wandering if there were any other outside influences other than training that might enhance the effect (supplementation, foods/drinks, specific nutrients/vitamins/minerals etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:26 pm 

You should be taking Creatine anyway, that's why I didn't mention it specifically for this purpose. Likewise, whey protein is a no brainer. Other than that, real food, water and lots of sleep, minimal alcohol and no tobacco or pot. There's nothing magic besides hard work, good nutrition and good rest. Read Hatfield's book anyway even if you don't do the soda thing.

Out of curiosity, what kind of program are you doing? What level are you competing in?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:28 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
call me suspicious

OK. You're suspicious. Satisfied?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:02 pm 

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. I'm trying to sound friendly before I sound negative, because I'm afraid that's how this will sound.

You've heard of someone not seeing the forest for the trees? Well, this sounds like not seeing the forest for the cellular structure of the pine needles! Really, what's the point of the question? Shouldn't you be asking "What can I do to be able to run faster?" I mean, so what if some detail of metabolism changes a little bit? I sure agree with what Stu has said:
stuward wrote:
You should be taking Creatine anyway, that's why I didn't mention it specifically for this purpose. Likewise, whey protein is a no brainer. Other than that, real food, water and lots of sleep, minimal alcohol and no tobacco or pot. There's nothing magic besides hard work, good nutrition and good rest.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:02 am 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
Really, what's the point of the question?.

It relates to learning.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:54 am 

Performance wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
Really, what's the point of the question?.

It relates to learning.

OK, that's fair. I don't mean to discourage you. So you want to learn about the physiology. It sounded a bit like you hoped that you can intervene at a very basic physiologic level in order to see performance improvements.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:15 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
You should be taking Creatine anyway,

to whom would this advice extend ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
stuward wrote:
You should be taking Creatine anyway,

to whom would this advice extend ?

Anyone interested in performance. Those that eat a lot of meat don't need it.