back dead lift 3x6-8
pullups 3x8-10
bb row 3x8-10
db row 3x8-10
shoulders rear delt raises 3x8-10
shrugs 3x6-8
military press 3x6-8
laterals 3x8-10

all sets above are very hard, but not to failure. ie if i struggle very hard with last rep or my form goes down i dont do the next one...if i excess the upper limit of rep range during given set ill add weight for next set..

from time to time ill add some rest pause or drop sets...

3-4 times a week depending on recovery and my schedule...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:30 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

u ddint ask but I think in your set up, Biceps sohuld go on day3

also, you are really hitting the triceps

and good luck

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'd probably reduce the volume. I think that's a lot of volume for chest especially. I'd pick two exercises. e.g. BP and Incline BP. I think the BB row and DB are reduntant. I'd pick one--I prefer DB for lower back safety, especially if you're doing other exercises that hit lower back, such as squats. I'd toss either the walking lunges or the leg extension. Pick one. I'd toss the forearm work. Also, I don't want to start a debate over the merits of deadlifts for recreational lifters, but I would think critically about why you are doing those and what you expect to gain from them. Think about long term safety and the cost/benefit of that exercise (I'm assuming you are lifting heavy on these). I don't mean to dog on an exercise that some people swear by--just think about whether its a good fit. That's all. I also prefer a push/pull routine to allow the joints involved in pushing and pulling maximum recovery time. You are working chest and then shoulders a few days later, which both heavily involve the shoulder joint and elbows. That's a matter of preference though and I know the arguments for splitting up a routine like you have it. You could also consider dropping some of the direct arm work. You could do 3 total sets for bis and tris consisting of 1 set per exercise or just straight sets on 1 exercise and mix it up every workout. Direct arm work is basically just fun stuff anyway. One last comment--your front shoulder (anterior deltoid) is getting a lot of work. Be careful with that too. THat is a commonly over worked muscle and joint. Incline bench press works the hell out of your front shoulder as do bench presses for that matter.

Basically, long story short, reduce the volume and toss the redundency.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:23 pm 

Hey, where's this guy been hiding? Good post.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:52 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ya, that guy Drake did make some good points.

Personally, I think the routine stinks. If you want to do a 3 day routine I'd recommend WS4SB

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 am 
Novice
Novice

Direct arm work is just for fun ? So if someone purchases some free weights and does curls their biceps won't get bigger after 1 or 2 months?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:07 am 

Harpoon wrote:
Direct arm work is just for fun ? So if someone purchases some free weights and does curls their biceps won't get bigger after 1 or 2 months?

direct arm work is a necessity. There's a reason every single successful bodybuilder/physique competitor trains their arms. Newbs, however, don't need more than a couple of sets thrown in at the end of a workout. There's a tendency for beginners to do waaaaaay to much volume for their arms, and it becomes counter-productive.

As for someone buying some dumbells and just doing curls, well yeah, their arms would get bigger, however it neglects the big picture. Having decent looking arms is more than about just developing the biceps. If you want a decent looking set of arms you need big biceps, triceps, shoulders and traps. Another example would be someone wanting to develop their shoulders, so they buy some dumbells and just do lateral raises. While you do need a well developed lateral deltoid to have impressive shoulders, you also need a good upper chest, rear delts and traps.

So yeah. In short, arm work is good, but there's no need for newbs to do more than 2 or 3 sets of it a session

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:18 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Harpoon wrote:

Don't you think it's fun? Ok, my attempt at humor and grabbing attention--probably not funny to everybody. My point: The biceps is about the size of a potato. They couldn't possibly require 8+ sets of various curls, especially after being worked with compound lifts, like the chin up. The triceps are larger, but they also get a lot of work from pressing. It's funny how coupound exercises like chins, bench presses, and squats are good enough to work the all important lats, chest, and quads, but when it comes to arms--no, those guys need a day of high volume isolation exercises dedicated to them. In case anybody cares (I'm sure nobody does), yes, I do direct arm work. But it's really to "finish them off" after the important lifts. So I think it's fine to work them directly. But, I agree with robertscott that people have a tendency to overdo it, especially beginners. I used to know a national level competative amateur bodybuider. This guy was HUGE and lean (paper thin skin)--biceps like cannon balls, triceps like Christmas hams--you get the picture. His tricep routine--maybe 10 minutes of a couple of exercises after chest and shoulders. His biceps--probably about 7 minutes worth max. I always remember that when I pick up the curl bar. I'm not going to do more than that guy since he had a lot more muscle fiber to work than I have. Not the best logic, but it's kept me from getting stress fractures in my forearms like some people I know who do a bunch of preacher curls and such.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think focusing too much on arm work in beginner programs detours and slows down the progress of the individual. Everybody wants huge arms. Now. That's why the program has two or three different bicep curls, even with mixing the grip, and two or three more tricep movements. That topped off with wrist curls or something as silly. Then these same people do squats, rows, pulldowns, bench presses and overhead presses, maybe chins too. Even most PT's commonly include lots of armwork to anybody from beginner to some senior who would like to get healthier. I understand if you do one exercise of extra arm-work as an additional, but come on. As a beginner I think one majorly overloads the biceps and triceps with this kind of isolating. There are more important things than you elbow strength to work on when you start lifting weights.

Competitors, actual bodybuilders and advanced lifters are a totally different thing. Nothing against their armwork naturally.

I don't do special armwork these days. I did some tricep work to advance on my bench on the last program, but just one exercise a week, but biceps, other than chin-ups, haven't needed. And my arms have grown for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:34 pm 

2-3 sets of arm work after your big compounds. You'd be an idiot not to

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:24 pm 

Harpoon wrote:

I don't think Drake was saying that. He's just saying that direct arm work isn't the most important thing in the routine.