ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stopped losing weight?!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:24 pm 
n00b
n00b

I finally kept my word and am sticking to my new year's resolution to lose weight. Since January 9th I have lost almost 40 lbs (318 to 280).

Every 2nd day I do 30 min cardio on either an xtrainer or recumbent bike maintaining a 135-140 HR then doing some varying weight training by targeting upper body one day then lower the next.

My diet only slightly changed in I have all but completely eliminated carbs in the evening. I still have a wrap or a bagel for lunch or breakfast. And maybe reduced my portion size a bit from last year but that's really it.

My results for January were minimal as I figured it was due to the weight training building up my muscle mass, then in February things took off and I started losing weight consistently until late April where I weighed in at around 285.

The problem is that in the last month and a half, I have only managed to lose 5lbs even though my general routine and diet are the same. The only thing I have noticed is that I have to pedal MUCH faster or stride MUCH faster to keep my HR up around 140. I guess I could try jacking up the resistance on the cardio machines..

Anyhow, insights would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

with weight loss in the first month introducing weight training and cardio alone will show results just because you are burning more calories than you take in if nothing else change in your diet or daily routine.
our bodies fight to stay in homeostasis......our bodies dont want to gain muscle, also it doesnt want to lose fat.
because of that we have to keep tricking our metabolism, the reason you stopped losing weight is because your metabolism in essence caught up with your activitey.. you body finds it routine now to do the exersize and has adjusted itself accordingly
i suggest that you clean up your diet a little and introduce cardio after you weight training for 15-20 intence minutes.
granted i have no idea how you are eating now, there was no mention of what types of meals of the frequency.
try 6 "clean" meals
they will make a world of difference.

as for you having to do more to get your heart rate up...congrats you are in better shape

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:37 am 
n00b
n00b

kevin harris wrote:
with weight loss in the first month introducing weight training and cardio alone will show results just because you are burning more calories than you take in if nothing else change in your diet or daily routine.
granted i have no idea how you are eating now, there was no mention of what types of meals of the frequency.
try 6 "clean" meals

I didn't want to radically change my diet because I knew my will power just isn't there. This is my usual daily food intake:

Breakfast at 7am: Either a bagel with cream cheese, a wrap with ham or chicken or sometimes cereal.. usually with a glass of OJ - coffee when I get into the office around 8am.

Lunch at noon varies, I have caved in every so often and gone to a burger joint with coworkers, but for the most part its a pita or a tortilla wrap with a juice or an iced tea.

Late afternoon some fruit or a granola bar on days I go to the gym.

Evening varies but I really put in the effort to drop carbs for dinner so really no potatoes or noodles or pasta then. When I get back from the gym I grab a glass of some veg cocktail like V8 or the like.

kevin harris wrote:
as for you having to do more to get your heart rate up...congrats you are in better shape

WOO HOO!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Juice, cereal and granola bars seem to be the problem. If you HAVE to have granola and cereal, Kashi makes some that are decent. If you want juice, you really need to get a juicer and make it yourself. That stuff at the store is no good. Really though, cut the simple carbs and sugars out. Have more protein. The thing is, if you want to have more grain stuff, you have to go lower on the fruit. If you want to eat a lot of fruit. You are better off just eating fruit, veggies, nuts and meat. Like maybe a paleo or zone kind of thing. It depends on what you like.

Now if you are going pretty hardcore on the weights, you might not loose much scale weight. I lost an incredible ammount of fat without the scale going down much at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm not a fruit nut, but was always told that fruits are good for you. Mostly its just oranges and bananas that I eat. I heard that apple juice isn't the best for someone with my goals because of the sugars so I stay away.

As far as the weights go, I think I'm going full bore anyway.. generally 3s of 8r until failure, if I can hit 3s 10r then I bump up the weight a bit. I only use the machines ( I know I should do some freeweights too)... meaning a bicep curl machine (currently at 90lb), tricep pulldown (105lb), pec fly (180lb), lateral raise (100lb), calf raise (200lb+BW), pulldown (230lb) among others.. and on a seated leg press I've done 3s 8r of 540lbs but it just wasted me.

Thanks for all the good info thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:01 pm 

Fruit and fruit juice are two different things.

Juice is generall not helpful when trying to lose weight; water is the best.

Fruits are good in small amounts as a snack. Combined with some form of protein they are a good nutritious energizing snack to help you eat small meals throughout the day without starving yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:59 pm 
Novice
Novice

training at the rep range of 8-10 in generally for muscle building. grate becasue muscle in essence helps burn fat, the problem is though your diet, you are not eating a muscle friendly diet
where is protien?

unless you the genetics like a god you will not build muscle unless you eat for,
but from what you have said it doesnt really sound like that is the goal

for fat loss i would stay in the 12-15 range and superset opposing muscle groups when you train

proper nutrition is key to all physique changing goals

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:16 pm 
n00b
n00b

There's always some chicken breast or ham or the like in at least two of my daily meals... plus I do have a glass of soy milk in the vicinity of a workout. Half a handful of almonds here and there as well. No protein shakes or drinks though, and I don't really want to start on those.

I can tell at least that my biceps are huge compared to last year anyway.

If I stuck to only drinking water I'd kill myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:12 am 
n00b
n00b

If anyone cares...

I took some of the advice in here and changed a few things around... On June 7th when I originally posted in here, I hovered around 280-283...

This morning I weighed in at 265.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just wanted to drop a hearty Congratz, losing weight is a bitch. Unfortunately the leaner you get the harder it will be to keep losing so you'll have to keep tweaking your nutrition based on current weight and change up workouts a little more frequently. Check out some of the articles on t-nation.com for ideas, I find it a great place for that (though the amount of information there can be staggering). Best of luck with your goals!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:01 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

For cardio, have you tried HIIT yet? http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

I sound like a broken record because I say this so much but I absolutely love HIIT. Try it out for a few weeks., you have nothing to lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Excellent. That is very good progress. You averaged about 2 pounds a week which is perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:00 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oatmeal's the grain for me. Inexpensive and it keep my energy level high. I love those slow-burning grains.

My rule is: Eat fruit, drink water. Definitely lay off the apple juice. Fresh squeezed OJ is the way to go. A couple oranges will do it. And yes, it does sound like you need a bit more protein. Congrats on your weight loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:35 pm 
n00b
n00b

VoK wrote:
For cardio, have you tried HIIT yet?

WHen I visit the doc next time, I'll run it by him then and see if I can handle it... being 265lb I'm still a little weary of really stressing the heart yet.

I'm sure it will be a mainstay for me in due course...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:37 pm 
n00b
n00b

TeeBee wrote:
Oatmeal's the grain for me. Inexpensive and it keep my energy level high. I love those slow-burning grains.

My rule is: Eat fruit, drink water. Definitely lay off the apple juice. Fresh squeezed OJ is the way to go. A couple oranges will do it. And yes, it does sound like you need a bit more protein. Congrats on your weight loss.

I really started to notice the weight loss after switching completely from the white flour based crap to whole grain stuff.

Thanks guys.