ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: simple workout
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 pm 
Novice
Novice

I just joined a gym for the first time and want a simple workout I won't be overwhelmed going to the gym for.

I'm basically going for a Rippetoe Starting strength style workout (Day 1 and Day 2 alternating 3 days a week) but with pull-ups incorporated (which coincidentally is the name of the gym I joined... Kidding...)
So how does this look?
Day 1
3 x Weighted dips
3 x bench press
3 x Deadlifts

Day 2
3 x Military press
3 x wide grip pull-ups
3 x squats

I generally start with a weight that I can only press under 8 times and I add a bit each set. I'd pay closer attention but I haven't started going consistently yet.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: simple workout
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 am 
Rookie
Rookie

IMO, military press should go the day one exercises, since your the anterior deltoids/triceps are going to be hit with your dip and bench press movements.

I am unsure about doing DL and squat back to back. I contemplated it for a while and I just asked a body builder type that I work with and he said he doesn't do those movements back to back. Rationale being recovery for your legs will be impacted.

Where's the row? I think the rest of your back would appreciate being involved and not left out.

I will caution you that this information being offered comes from a novice weight lifter that needs to lose a lot of weight before being consider any sort of athletic. Though I have spent an inordinate amount of time researching this material.

Neal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:57 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

looks alright I guess, although you could do with a row. Why not add in dumbell rows on day 1 and face pulls on day 2?

Also, I would personally want shoulder and arm accessory stuff but that's just me...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:07 am 

If you just want 3 exercises, swap out either the dips or bench for rows. Too much pressing and not enough pulling will trash your shoulders.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:09 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I would personally do Deadlifts first, Bench Press second and dips last on the first day, and Squats as the first exercise of the day 2. I prefer the biggest, whole body exercises to be before more isolating work. You can bench and deadlift more if you do them before the dips etc.

Generally it looks good, it's not bad that you deadlift one day and squat the other, or press on both days. As a beginner you need lots of stimulation, and that's how you activate them best. Just make sure you rest enough between workouts. Many time-frames can be thrown around, like 24hours or even 48 hour rest before the next intensive workout. But you and your body are the best markers. Some people can handle squats several days a week with little rest, some people need the 40 hour recovery. You'll find that out.

People have suggested the rows, and that's not a bad idea. You have pull-ups, which is great, but yeah, you can never do enough lat work. Especially as you are a beginner. Take that to consideration. I would maybe do core-work atleast twice a week too. One exercise twice a week is enough, with 2 to 4 sets of 5 to 12 reps.

Remember to write your workouts somewhere, you need to log the numbers to really see the progress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:17 am 

[quote="Dub"]...People have suggested the rows, and that's not a bad idea. You have pull-ups, which is great, but yeah, you can never do enough lat work. ...quote]

It's not the Lats that need the extra work. It's the upper back, primarily the rhomboids and the lower traps. For those muscles, you need horizontal rowing of some type. The important articulation is scapula retraction.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:03 am 

stuward wrote:
It's not the Lats that need the extra work. It's the upper back, primarily the rhomboids and the lower traps. For those muscles, you need horizontal rowing of some type. The important articulation is scapula retraction.

this man knows what he's talking about

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
stuward wrote:

this man knows what he's talking about

So does this man....
robertscott wrote:
looks alright I guess, although you could do with a row. Why not add in dumbell rows on day 1 and face pulls on day 2?

Also, I would personally want shoulder and arm accessory stuff but that's just me...

and kpj reminds you that your presing will get better if your upper back is stronger.
tru dat from experience

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll add face pulls on days 1 and dumbell rows on day 2. Good idea. I thought it looked a bit push orientated.

I'm not all that fussed about arm and shoulder accessory stuff at the moment...

Won't i be getting enough incidental core work through squats and deads?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:48 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ballophun wrote:
Won't i be getting enough incidental core work through squats and deads?

Well yes and no. I'm more on the side of extra core work. Because most likely when your squat gets heavy, and to failure, it's your core that gives in. Not your legs. Thus, extra core work means more results on squats, and a bit on deadlifts as well. Couple of sets twice a week can't atleast harm you. Strong core is essential for almost any compound move you can find when working out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:57 am 

I think that it's an interesting thought exercise to try to put together the simplest, barest routine possible. I don't think I could get along with less than 6 exercises. I did a routine that was very similar to this for a while, just rows in place of dips, and I cycled the squats and DLs separately from the others.