ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why don't you compete?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So after putting it off for a few weeks I finally went into the new powerlifting gym that opened up down the street, and explained about my recent shoulder issues and my desire for professional one-on-one training on the major lifts.

BTW, these guys have it all. Sleds, great big concrete balls you lift up and put on the shelf, olympic platform with bumper plates, 3 power cages, bands everywhere, chains, blah, blah, blah. But that's not part of this story.

The first question the guy asked actually had me laughing out loud. "Do you want to compete in our local meets?" I said no way, not this skinny computer nerd.

So during the tour and the chat every five minutes either Sam or Steve would bring up the competition again, and I say something like, "I'm not sure I can post 800lb in a powerlifting meet, and right now I can't bench at all." And they kept telling me it didn't matter, it was all in good fun, you met nice guys, powerlifters are very friendly and encouraging, and so on.

Then five minutes one of them would ask me again about competing, or start telling me how much fun it would be.

Driving home, thinking of my wife, the confirmed you'll-never-get-me-doing-that non-runner, who just finished a marathon, and that the only thing that would keep me out was pride, that I'd never be looking to win, just to enjoy it, and that I'd love to link up with serious powerlifters, I realized they'd convinced me...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:33 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

my only precaution that you may not hear otherwise, would be to consider their motives
And follow the money, all that stuff I've spent my anxious existence considering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm 

I've competed, and it's a lot of fun. I even set a nation squat record (since defeated). I could probably still podium for squat, although I'll never be able to hit a competitive total, and it was a heck of an experience.

Very worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:15 pm 

Oh, Oscar, Oscar, Oscar. You're such a cynic.

Ken, it really does sound like a lot of fun. Personally, I'm waiting until I'm so old that there's no competition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:43 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar, I love your wordcraft, but in this case I must say: WTF???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:15 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I find strangers almost always have ulterior motives, especially persistent ones
Maybe they get advertising by having you compete, or maybe it will attract friends to join. I dont know, I didn't say I'd be that helpful, just unique

trust but verify

In reality, I'm quite content and always say "things work out for me" but preceding that, I consider just about everything that could go wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It sounds to me like they just really love powerlifting and feel that anyone that lifts would enjoy it too. Anyone who has passion for a hobby will do that. So the motivation is their love for powerlifting.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

yeah, ther probaby is nothing too it, of course.

I'm one of those rair people who never goes aroudn and says "You should play on line poker / watch the UFC / go see Goodfellas / watch Glee / " because I get annoyed when folks do that to me. But yes, sometimes passion is enough of a motivation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:29 am 

Sheesh, Oscar! Ya walk into a powerlifting club, and they encourage you to go into powerlifting! They must have some really nefarious motive. If there were a physical online poker club, or UFS watching club, and someone walked in and expressed an interest in the club's activity, you'd probably encourage them and they wouldn't suspect you of anything bad!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:18 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
If there were a physical online poker club

TEACH ME

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:27 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

JasonJones wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
If there were a physical online poker club

TEACH ME

www.zeda.com.

Fake poker. They call it "social poker". All the thrill, none of the profit/loss. I'm on nearly every day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ironman wrote:
It sounds to me like they just really love powerlifting and feel that anyone that lifts would enjoy it too. Anyone who has passion for a hobby will do that. So the motivation is their love for powerlifting.

...and i think it's much better than if I said, "you know I went into this new gym and every five minutes somebody was offering me this pink pill they call the 'Breakfast of Champions.'"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:10 pm 

Besides, how does a local PL club "profit" from getting new people to compete? I don't think they would.