ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

a new poster here who has set a national record in the squat, and coached powerlifters to national champions.

I'm sure I speak for all of us JJ when I say we would love to hear how you train, how long you've trained, routines you've had success with, injuries you've overcome etc.

Care to fill us in?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:51 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

also if you are from another strength based forum looking to brainwash one of our most prolific members only to stop posting after a few months, just keep on walking...

welcome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 am 

I assume you're singling me out because of some past issues involving trolling of some sort on ExRx. I admit that I'm new here and if I'm stepping on any toes, or if there's been some controversies or conflicts in the past that I'm unaware of, I'd like to apologize for bringing them back to the forefront. I don't mean to "convince" anybody to do anything they don't want to, and I'm certainly not advocating one of the most prolific members do something he's uncomfortable with, much less if he's got any serious injuries. I'm not trying to troll, I just genuinely enjoyed the experiences I've had competing, and I'm proud of my accomplishments. I have nothing to hide and am happy in engaging in a good faith discussion about my powerlifting experiences, if that is the goal. If this is a witch hunt, on the other hand…

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:42 am 

Oscar's comments weren't directed at you at all, but just an allusion to something that came up in the past with a very experienced person who joined our forum. Oscar, who can out-troll any troll around, is just being Oscar. No worries. It has nothing to do with you, and he means no offense. At least I'm pretty sure he means no offense The prolific member can take care of himself, thankyouverymuch, is uninjured, and quite content with his friendship with previous newbies who don't post here any more, and his brain remains quite unwashed, not to say that it's dirty. (I think that said former newbie just didn't find anything here that he didn't have in a more familiar flavor on the other forum.) You are not stepping on any toes, and you are most welcome here.

Newcomers here tend to come in 2 varieties, the new, inexperienced lifter looking for advice, and the more experienced lifter looking for fellowship, camaraderie and exchange of ideas. Both are welcome! The second kind are also needed to help give advice to the first kind.

So, I'd echo Robert's request that you fill us in a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jason, I think you have dropped some little bits of interesting information here and there, and now people are curious to hear your story. I'm sure that's all it is. I don't think anyone means to put you on the spot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:52 am 

Jason - Welcome. Looking forward to sharing/stealing some of your wisdom :salute:

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:43 am 

Ignore Oscar, he's a complicated character...

We really are all just interested to here about your training. From other posts you've made you are clearly very accomplished and we'd all love to hear more about it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:18 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

JasonJones wrote:
. I have nothing to hide and am happy in engaging in a good faith discussion about my powerlifting experiences

ok, as long as you understand, I have nothing to teach you and will likely suck you dry of your wisdom if given the chance.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:41 pm 

Thanks for the words of encouragement / reassurance that I haven't stepped into a massive blunder and made a buttguy out of myself.

There's a huge amount I could say about my experiences, but I'll try to keep it relevant and on-point. Perhaps the biggest point would be to echo something someone much smarter than me said (I believe it was Pavel, but I'm not 100% on that, and I'm definitely paraphrasing). Coming in the top 10% at a marathon or a triathlon will still see you getting beaten by a hundred people. Coming in the top 1/3 of a powerlifting contest will get you on the podium. Making the decision to actually compete puts you ahead of 90% of the competition.

In terms of what I did to prepare, the first and perhaps most important decision I made was to pick a federation that had a ruleset that would actually put me in competitive standing. There was no federation in Canada (or more likely on Earth) where my bench was going to be competitive, and not a lot of hope for my deadlift either (which meant that totalling impressively was out of the question as well). But raw federations where the squat was strictly below parallel offered a competitive edge to someone with strong hip mobility who could keep himself in the lower weight classes.

I trained specifically to compete in one lift. I spent a year voraciously consuming anything Dave Tate or EliteFTS had to say, and I worked through some of Pavel's programs (looking primarily at the success he had training his father to be a competitive deadlifter), milk/breathing squats, and two Smolov squat cycles. I did nothing but follow devotedly in the footsteps of giants, and I'm fortunate that so many vastly more gifted people have shared the secrets to their success. I did also train bench and deadlift — not to be competitive but to have a respectable total — and the moral of that story is that I sleep with my left scapula kin taped into depression sometimes ><

I was planning on dehydrating to make weight two classes down, but some guy in my age category in Alberta completely crushed the squat record and I ended up only dropping one class. Dehydrating completely destroyed my pull, by the way, by over 20kg. Damn thing just would not budge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:32 pm 

Are you still competing?

I'm thinking of changing my name to Jason.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Are you still competing?

Haven't had any success breaking the plataeu actually. Even with a weight class drop I can't hit elite numbers.
Jungledoc wrote:
I'm thinking of changing my name to Jason.

Ever watch The Daily Show?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:00 pm 

JasonJones wrote:
Ever watch The Daily Show?
No, why?

You're aware that the other Jason on this forum competes nationally (actually internationally, since he's American, and his last meet was in Canada) in Strongman?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:36 pm 

There's a correspondent on that show named Jason Jones. Jason, is that you or did you take your online name from him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxfZ6gJ7KYc
(warning - bad language)

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:34 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
You're aware that the other Jason on this forum competes nationally (actually internationally, since he's American, and his last meet was in Canada) in Strongman?

I had no idea, which is probably why I didn't get the joke :pale:
stuward wrote:
There's a correspondent on that show named Jason Jones. Jason, is that you or did you take your online name from him?

Just a coincidence, although we did go to the same school and live in the same neighbourhood (at different times).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, the Daily Show was the first thing I thought of when I saw the name. I didn't want to bring up something you are probably sick of hearing about though.