ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:32 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

If I say "I'd like to do deadlifts, but it makes my legs sore" You all would tell me that that is more reason to do them..and a bad excuse.

If I say "I'd like to do complexex, but I'm out of shape " You all would tell me that that is more reason to do them..and a bad excuse.

If I say "I'd like to do progressively loaded barbell Squats, but I don't want to allocate the money" You all would tell me ok, find kids or sandbags to load.

My point being, finding the financial resources to allocate takes sacrifice sometimes, but so does working on gpp and form. We just hear that excuse and let it go. Are we overly sensitive to say "go work more?"

just throwing this out there

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 pm 

"I don't want to allocate the money" and "I don't have the money" are two very different things.

If you haven't ever been in a position where spending money on something not absolutely essential would be taking food out of your children's mouth or missing a rent payment, then maybe it's something that you can't understand. "Go work more" isn't always possible, either; you don't know how much someone is working now, or what work is available to them.

If someone gave the first excuse, I'd probably still talk about alternatives, but I wouldn't think that they were very committed to the goal. If they gave the second excuse, I'd say, "I know what you mean, I've been there myself. If you're committed to getting stronger, than you can do these things."

I know a guy here in PNG who is an internationally competitive body builder. He lives in a bush house. He trains on a bench made from a board using a barbell made from buckets of rocks tied to a stick. The point isn't money, it's commitment. When someone says "I can't train because I don't have money" I have no patience for them. But if someone says "I'm training, but I have to choose particular training modalities because I don't have money", well, then I understand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:27 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Yes I dont' disagree with you

But we never question someone who says "I dont have the funds, what are my alternatives?"
It's all cute to use you kids and sandbags. I went a year before committing more than $60, sandbags included, for I have a lot of quit in me; therefore we wanted to see some commitment first.

I'm the worst at communicating my advanced thoughts :lol7: thru this medium.
"We" like to demonstrate our creative solutions to this problem so readily that we do a disservice because real progress will be so much easier/effective with a decent gym, not squatting your kids. That works for awhile. I use the term "allocate" because I presume most have $60 cellphone bills, eat out 6 times a week, and drive cars. It's a choice. Some are not in that situation. But they are likely not the ones posting here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:09 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I think not having the money to join a gym is a fair enough excuse. The one that irks me is when people complain they don't have time

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:18 am 

So many people starting out spend hundreds or thousands on worthless equipment. Go to any yard sale and there will be some sort of "advertised on TV" crap for sale. The average beginner doesn't know enough to differentiate good equipment for bad. I would much rather that somone get used to working with their own bodyweight, invest gradually on equipment that works, like a chin up bar, rings, resistance bands, then start expanding to kettlebells, adjustable dumbbells, then start considering converting the garage to accept a squat rack or start laying out cash for the right gym. There is nothing so obsene as someone paying loads of money for some useless gimmick. For what it's worth, I do not use a cell phone and I have basic cable and basic internet and drive an 8 year old car. I'm also putting 3 kids and a wife through school.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 pm 
n00b
n00b

not having the money to spend on a gym membership is not an excuse. its a reality for some. "go work more" isnt always an option. this applies to people who work, not just the unemployed. in work, you might not be able to do more hours or find extra work. out of work, it can be very hard/near impossible to find paid work, depending on a variety of factors.

the problem, and the real excuse, comes when a person will not find a way to exercise without going to the gym. its not hard to keep yourself in good shape without a gym membership. you just need yourself and the ground, nothing more.

i appreciate your point, but spending that money on a gym membership just doesnt top some people lists. even for people who value their health, neccessities come first. you can always get healthy for free, unlike a lot of others thing in life!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:00 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

when I ahve more time, I will help you all see my point more clearly.

Or more likely, continue with my poor communication, apparently

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:32 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar, I think Doc's answer points out that there are two cases: unable and unwilling.

When I started I was unwilling to spend much money because, frankly, I wasn't sure I'd like it and stick with it. I had two adjustable dumbbells and all of about 70# of plates for them. I did what I could. I am blessed that right now I can make value decisions about the best way to do something, make decisions about what I am willing to spend. But it was not always so for me, and it has little to do with how hard I've worked over the years. It may not be so in the future either, I am not so bold to believe that I have that kind of power over the universe.

I've had 3 people express interest in lifting with me since I started, they vary greatly in their resources, discipline, and natural strength. None has stuck with it. But in each case my own willingness to help out was inversely proportional to their own means. One guy had a car, his own money, and a very flexible schedule, I told him my schedule and invited him over. Another guy, much younger, has little means. I went to his house, picked him up, brought him over, showed him what to do, etc. Eventually I realized he was unwilling and I withdrew from the commitment, but I'd go right back to taxi driver it if he showed commitment, his modest means are the result of forces I won't try to explain here, and I don't hold it against him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

I think if someone expresses and interest in exercising, its safe to assume they are willing to put out the effort regardless of their financial circumstances.
Therefor "find kids or sandbags to load" is the equivalent of "bad excuse"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:23 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
when I ahve more time, I will help you all see my point more clearly.

Or more likely, continue with my poor communication, apparently

So you're saying that if people don't agree with you, they must not be understanding you? Maybe they understand just fine, but disagree with you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

yeah Doc, that's what I'm saying
geesh.

I'm making a finer point than can easily be communicate by one vobaularly challenged as me. I think your response, which I generally do not disagree with, was not actually addressing my point, yet, the thread sort of got redefined by that response.

I will try again.

We take without any questions someone who says "I don't have the means to purchase equipment, or pay for gym membership, what can I do"? If it's single mom without time, or old man with a bad back, or one legged jew with herpes, we'll suggest getting a baby sitter, or bringing the kids / doing light work to get the back in shape / and pistols + penicillin. But there is something about saying "I'm broke", that we all go - "oh, well I shouldn't pry, or suggest that this person is just choosing to allocate elsewhere". Now, I'm one of those guys who was reading about inexpensive workouts, as noted, I think its smart to wait until you are consistant and committed, of course. I would bet a larg sum of money that most of those posting on lifting sites saying they don't have the funds, are really saying "I don't want to spend" The downside of this "fib" is that our suggestions are not ideal. I guess, I'd prefer "What can someone do with body weight and a dinner table", we don't need to know your situation. Everyone travles sometimes or wants to get away from the iron now and again, so that topic is useful regardless.
I think it a disservice, sort of, to placate the majority of "broke lifters" and tell them rock lifting and handstand pushups will suffice. It can sure and yes, dedication trumps any $$$$ you throw at this. But, can we question the heart and dedication too? If I say Deadlifts hurt, someone will ask someonr wil suggest I work on it, Can we have just a little just a tad of challenge to the "I'm broke". If you think about it, we have few if any posters who have come and stayed who said "I can't afford weights" and a year later are progressig with dog squats
I'm not blaming the "broke" posters, real or fibbing. I'm blaming those here who are too quick to take them at their word and not give a more realistic outlook. Seriously given weather conditions, progression, a variety of goals, there is a huge advantage to being able or chooseing to allocate a few hundred dollars. Yes it can be done, if you are dedicated and creative, most are not.

ok, this was problaby no better :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:18 am 

Yeah, I really get what you're saying. It's just that when someone says "I'm broke", I'm not inclined to say "oh, no you're not." I tend to take people at face value. Gets me into trouble all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:12 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jungle,

I sense you are still being sarcastic. Being that I am the troll here, surely that is not the case.

I'll say I"m a bit more cynical and less trusting than you/most, ok. But, if I say, "I don't have time", will you take that at face value too? Others don't. There is something unique about the "broke" excuse. We dont' question it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:25 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If someone makes an excuse for not working out, regardless of what it is... I don't care. Really. It's their choice if they want to work out and if they don't( for whatever reason), who am I to be judgmental?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jebus wrote:
If someone makes an excuse for not working out, regardless of what it is... I don't care. Really. It's their choice if they want to work out and if they don't( for whatever reason), who am I to be judgmental?

I'm with you.