ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey guys, I used to have another acct here as "Immortal" but the problem is i forgot my password to it and the password to the email.

I need some quick workout help and I don't know a better site than this one.

Sunday

Cable Rows 3X10, 1 X5
Dumbell Bench 3X10,1X5
Lat Pull Downs 2X10,1X3
Incline Dumbell Bench 2X10 1 X3
Bench press 3X5
B B Rows 2X5
Pull Ups 1X Complete Max

Monday
Squat 4X10, 3X5
Leg Extensions 3X10
Leg Curls 3X10
Jump Squats (jumping over Bench) 2X20
Stair Master 7 minutes at 100 steps per minute

Thursday
Lat Rows 1X20
Dumbell bench 1X20
Lat Pull Downs 1X20
ID Press 1 X20
Shoulder raises, Flies 1X20
Dead Lift 1X20
Stair Master

For Cardio (random days in between or few hours after workout)
Burpees 5X20
Heavy bag 4 rounds of 5 minutes

What do you guys think? too much? too little ? anything i need to add or drop?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:49 pm 

It would help us help you if you outlined your goals with some specificity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:24 pm 

What have you been doing recently?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:41 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

what is wrong with you, seriously?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:27 pm 

What's the goal?

Deadlift 1x20 seems pretty odd to me regardless of goals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:37 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
what is wrong with you, seriously?

Sheesh, Oscar. That's just rude.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:50 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

No.
It's really not.
Not in his case

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:43 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm on the lines with Doc, it's just very odd.
First off, seven exercises per day? Secondly, the exercise order is just weird and crooked. And thirdly, the thursday workout just looks very bad. That looks like what a beginning high school girl would do almost every day when shes going to the gym.
So yes, there seems to be fixing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can always recover your account for you. As for the workout..... You should probably start over from scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

recently i was doing a full body workout 3 times per week and the first 2 months i saw dramatic reesults from it but after that i reached overtraining pretty bad because All of my lifts went down. I was changing up the rep range every 2 weeks and i was going from 2-5 reps to 6 - 10. I was stubborn and kept working out for another 2 weeks thinking i was just sick but on my last day of it I realized I could barely go heavy on squats anymore. In fact it got to a point where I wasnt even going parrallel anymore and I used to go a few inches below that whenever I squated to get a full range of motion in. Now im back to doing what I used to get my body in shape in the first place, HEAVY HIGH REP SQUATS. its not something that girls do at all. I basically put on 2 plates now and squat it for 20 reps no matter what. 225 is my 12 rep max but i keep the weight on me and breathe for 10 counts after every rep from 12 in order to get to 20. I dont stop. The same goes for all the other 20 reps. For instance, for dumbell bench, I use the 60's or the 65's and I keep going until 20 . Usually on this, I have to drop the weight at 14 and get back up take deep breaths for 5 seconds and get back on the bench to finish out. No matter what, I reach 20. I dont see why this is anything "girls" would do. Have any of you ever even tried the 20 rep sqaut workout? Most of em even say do a dead lift for 15 reps. I just tweeked it a little and added about 5 reps to it.

http://www.bodybuilding. com /fun/irontamer5.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

and I only do 1 set on thursdays simply because of the fact that its hard to recover from a 20 rep wirkout, not only that I also do a heavy load on monday for squats and heavy on sunday for upper body movements. PLus I used to do 2 sets of every 20 rep thing besides squats but since my body isnt used to it yet like it was before I figure id grow and then add what i need but im only keeping this workout for 1 month then going back to my old workout when im recovered because my old workout was the best workout that I have ever gotten results from. This is more of a recovery type thing so please dont judge me for it

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

vindication.. ?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:22 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Okay, I may have gotten under your skin. By all means, I didn't mean to insult you. I don't say you lift like a girl. I just said that the workout your doing on your third day looks like some high school girls workout. Why?
1) There is no logic with the arragement of the exercises
2) Considering you are doing only one set of every exercise, the logic is again a bit shady. First back, the chest, back, shoulder, then deadlift? What it reads is that you just walk around the gym, do one set of a random move, then move to another.
3) Why 1x20? Why with a weight that is too hard for proper 20?
4) Due to your confusing methods, you also happen to have a big amount of exercises on your workouts. Up to 7 different exercises within one workout is lots.

Infact, what are your goals? Where are you aiming with this craziness? You do sets and reps with every possible category, and with a very confusing chart. You are all over the place, there doesn't seem to be enough logic and consistency behind this program. It's more like "I do what I feel like today" kind of workout. First something with back for couple of sets of 10, then crank the intensity and do couple of harder sets. After that you do the same thing with another muscle exercise. And then after that you do big compounds with high intensity (and volume!) like bench and deadlifts?

I think you are seriously burning your nervous system. Doing 20 reps of anything with 15RM or similar every week with as many as 6 different exercises sounds crazy to me. Especially stuff like deadlifts and squats. Usually there's a reason why some people do high rep sets, and they usually do them a bit more rarely. I've heard about this method before, but I have my doubts if it works within everyweek schedule. Especially when you're a bit all over the place every workout. Why do you do forced HEAVY high rep exercises? Why do you do high volume and high intensity at the same time. With 6 different exercises?

Don't take this as negative. I just want to find out your reasons and ideas behind this workout.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:35 am 

Yeah, Oscar. Yeah.

Immortal--What's wrong with you seriously? This is pretty random-sounding rambling. What are your training goals? Why would you do 20 rep squats except as an occasional test of endurance? There's not a whole lot of training value in it. And you don't list that in the workout. And I don't follow what it is that you have been doing recently, what it is you went back to, what you thought caused overt raining, where the above lists of exercises fits in, or what you are asking of us. If the lists of exercises are offered as a workout, why would you put a bunch of isolation work before your compound work? Especially, why would you put DLs late in a session of mostly upper body stuff?

I'd think doing 20 rep sets of squats would cause "over training" pretty reliably.

If you need to defend what you were doing before, why do you feel you need to change?

Note: I apparently was typing this at the same time as Dub was answering. We're obviously saying a lot of the same things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:39 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

the 20 rep squat routine is a tried and tested method that's been around for millennia, there's nothing wrong with that necessarily. Having said that, if you actually look at the original 20 rep breathing squats routine, you'll see that after the squats most of the routine is pretty easy. If you have the energy for much else after the squats, you're doing it wrong. You should also only do the routine for 6 weeks.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/ ... 2C_1968.29

However, this routine is not a good one. 20 rep deadlifts with your 15RM (how does anyone know what their 15RM on deadlifts even is?) is going to cause your form to breakdown so horrifically that you will do some serious damage to your back. Not a god idea.

You're a good kid immortal, but your routine here is garbage. If it's a 3 day routine you're after, do WS4SB.