Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power Cleans technique?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:07 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hey all,

I recently started incorporating power cleans into my workout. I am struggling a bit with proper technique I think. I have watched a few videos of the proper execution but I think I am still struggling.

I have the initial phase of the lift down I believe, just pulling from the floor as in a deadlift, correct? It's the middle portion that gets me. All the videos I see have the lifter quickly dropping under the bar as they fling it up and onto their shoulders. When I do them, I feel like at that point I am doing more of a reverse grip curl. I just can't seem to get my butt down without losing balance as the weight is shifted a little forward and then back again. I am doing light lifts to try and learn proper form but even that isn't helping. It seems no matter how much weight I put on the bar I always lose balance.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Travis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:37 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Since there are many great articles about the issue, I think giving them to aid you is the first step. If that doesn't work, well revisit the issues.

http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/t ... wer-clean/
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/t ... ang-clean/
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _the_clean

These are hang clean, power clean, and Olympic clean help articles, I would think you'll find everything from there. The basic idea is the same in all the movements, usually they are just missing a phase or a movement. (Like in hang you don't have the lift off, and power has only little squat in it.)

But for what I read and know, you're having issues with balance and the pull phase. It seems that if you are doing some sort of curling, you're totally missing the hip hinge/high-pull/clean moment on the lift. Also your point of balance might be off. The bar could just be too far from the body, or your bodyweight is focused solely on your toes or heels. That or too narrow stance could be reasons.
Video would be helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I dont' know if focusing just on the high pull portion will be detrimental to eventually incorporating the final stage, but at least you can work on getting the bar high without reverse curling. I like high pulls and posted video for help. I've worked to eliminate similar issues noted, like throwing the weight too far forward. Be careful as sometimes light weight facilitates allowing bad techniques here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:39 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
I dont' know if focusing just on the high pull portion will be detrimental to eventually incorporating the final stage, but at least you can work on getting the bar high without reverse curling. I like high pulls and posted video for help. I've worked to eliminate similar issues noted, like throwing the weight too far forward. Be careful as sometimes light weight facilitates allowing bad techniques here.

Maybe I'll work on the high pulls. I had never seen nor heard of that exercise until now. It appears that about the only thing left would be to tuck the elbows under and flip the wrists. I'll give them a try this weekend.

Thanks!

Travis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:27 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Get someone to film you. When you fling your elbows, imagine a hand or something in front of you and try to hit it quickly and hard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I think I may have figured it out! I need much more practice for this to feel like a natural movement but I'm getting there. Doing more of a high pull is helping tremendously! Thanks to all for the help.

Travis