ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:10 am 
Hi, When I do 2 hand cable bicep curl, (60% of my body weight) i seems to put stress on my shoulder joints like I'm lifting too much. I don't notice that on other exercises. Has anyone ever noticed that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:32 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Are you moving your elbows during the lift? Or are you keeping them still close to your body?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:12 am 
mmmmm sometimes i dont pay attention, i try to keep them the same position but elbows are never pressing against my body

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:57 am 
Sounds like poor form to me. I see people do that all the time. They use a lot of weight and lift it with their shoulders and swing their body a little.

Only let your elbows move. Go all the way down too. You will find you can't do as much weight when you do it like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:26 pm 
Are you doing curls with both hands holding one handle, or with two seperate handles attached to seperate pulleys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:10 am 
its a bar that i attach to the cable machine. Maybe 1.5 feet long? each hand grabing each side. Just like a BB only attached to a cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:53 pm 
n00b
n00b

If you are like most men in the gym you are probably using too much weight.
I see it all the timeā€¦ bad form and too much weight and no muscle development. I have 18 inch arms and I use 90 to 100 pounds barbell curls on a good day. I weight 215 pounds. That is less than half my body weight. My philosophy is form over substance. You should always use proper form in an exercise. The increase in poundage will come as the body adapts to the exercise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:37 pm 
that sounds like me then, I'm 130 and am doing 80 LBS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:31 pm 
How many reps are you doing? I usually use fairly high reps for curls (10-12), which tends to keep the weight down somewhat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:36 pm 
Of course, good form is also extremely important.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]