ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Hoose, I watched the video on youtube for the rotator reliever. Could not find any independent reviews of the product.

Don't know about 130 UDS for some balls on a string and what I can do with a couple of ankle attachments and a length of rope.

Have you used this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:56 pm 

I haven't. I watched video on it. The concept of the exercises passes the sniff test. I don't know if I believe the rest component. I think if you achieve good muscle balance, you won't need something like this. I have something called a Dyna-Flex power ball http://mydfx.com/ that you can get for about $40 that I just tried out. You can get a similar motion with it that I would try out first.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:38 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Quote:
Cheating on Pulling Motions
It is extremely easy to cheat on pulling motions. On the face pull for example you can jerk the weight into motion with your biceps and traps, and your rear delts and rotators will get very little exercise, and you may not even know it! That is why we start with embarrasingly light weights and do many reps, to learn the feel in our back shoulders.

This maybe seem insignificant to some people but this is really important knowledge for any back exercise. I too was cheating in every possible back movement... Im nowhere near my pushing strength with my pulling strength when done with strict movement without any jerks. I used to think face pulls were totally useless until i read about this post. Next time i went to gym and did it 30-40kg less weight and slow strict movement for higher reps it felt hard! Rear delts and some weak muscles inbetween my scapula got hit hard! For this information i thank you kendowns :cheers:

Atm im trying to come up with exercises/positions which minimize the ability to jerk the weights into motion. Like switching cable rows to chest supported rows and so on...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:27 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

What is everyones feelings on sleeping position having an impact on shoulder injuries? I bet an awful lot of people sleep on their sides and struggle to fully rest these injuries!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:18 pm 

Speaking of shoulders, I fear I have a torn rotator cuff muscle and impingement or nerve compression.. I have had tingling in the left shoulder, neck and jaw for a couple of months now, in addition to intense heat sensations. My upper trap area is painful also, which the Dr. suspects may be referred pain or the muscles compensating for the rotator cuff weakness. I had an MRI and arthrogram last week and will see my Dr. next Monday for the results. I fear surgery on the horizon though. :frown:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

bob wrote:
I have had tingling in the left shoulder, neck and jaw for a couple of months now

with those symptoms, torn rotator cuff seems like a reason to celebrate

I freak out at any signs of upper body numbness/tingle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

teafan wrote:
What is everyones feelings on sleeping position having an impact on shoulder injuries? I bet an awful lot of people sleep on their sides and struggle to fully rest these injuries!

I actually use sleep impact as a diagnostic. Early on before I was doing shoulder rehab exercises sleeping on the bad shoulder would cause me hours of pain the next day. Now that things are in much better shape I may sleep on it (don't really bother remembering not to) and there is no effect. So I figure that means it is getting better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:28 pm 

I haven't had any relief in nearly three months. I tried four sessions of the Graston Technique (myo-fascial release)which didn't help at all. Tomorrow, I get the results of my MRI.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

KenDowns wrote:
teafan wrote:

I actually use sleep impact as a diagnostic. Early on before I was doing shoulder rehab exercises sleeping on the bad shoulder would cause me hours of pain the next day. Now that things are in much better shape I may sleep on it (don't really bother remembering not to) and there is no effect. So I figure that means it is getting better.

Yeah I'm a sucker for sleeping on my side, even when I tell myself not to, and start either facing up or down, and that's where my shoulder injury came from, there seems to be nothing that you can do about it, other than sleep on the other side - fixing a problem while creating a problem!

What are peoples opinions on the rotatoreliver? I'm not really convinced to be honest, after seeing the thousands of 'miracle' fitness inventions.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Regarding sleeping on your shoulder - I must have suffered months of broken sleep thanks to my shoulder injury and sleeping position. it's definately worth checking your pillows and general sleeping posture. It may offer relief to add an extra pillow of suitable thickness. Sleep is obviously a big part of the healing process!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:17 am 
Novice
Novice

I stumbled across this video for stretching the anterior head of the delt, it helps me! So hopefully it helps someone else

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLqM959l ... re=mh_lolz

I find it a good stretch, and its helps my tendonitis when it flairs up, along with other exercises.