Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Popping joints
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi all,

Another random question post, but what has anyone heard about the cons (if any) of popping joints? I have 2 meanings: First, just the general popping joints like knuckles, neck, etc... Have ther been any studies to link it to arthritis? Is it going to hurt your joints in the long run?

And Second (and more workout related), is a popping joint bad while lifting if there is no pain to go along with it?

My right shoulder pops with almost every DB bench press rep i do. It doesn't hurt at all, and the joint itself is not sore the next day, so is it ok to push through the popping? Or will that cause joint problems down the road?

Thoughts?
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Popping joints
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:11 am 

First question, I don't think anyone knows. I've heard warnings about this since I was a kid. It would be really hard to do a study over enough years to really show anything about this. I've popped my knuckles a lot all my life, and now I have arthritis. However, my right knee is my most severely-affected joint, followed by my right talo-calcaneal and my right third distal interphalangeal joint, which yes, I can pop. So if popping is the cause of OA, then how did it end up in 2 joints which have never been popped. There is also the possibility that popping causes joint damage that is different than OA.

For your second question, I also think that no one knows for sure. I think there is at least a possibility that this will eventually develop into something painful. If whatever is being tweeked gets tweeked enough, it may become inflamed and painful. Can you find any variation in your technique that minimizes the popping (arm angle, ROM, etc)? I also have a shoulder pop that occurs with some movements, but I can get away from it by keeping my shoulder in a few degrees of transverse adduction.

My suggestion is to try to find a way to eliminate the popping, and pay attention, and stop at the first hint of pain.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:43 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

no pain = no worries

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:44 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
First question, I don't think anyone knows. I've heard warnings about this since I was a kid. It would be really hard to do a study over enough years to really show anything about this. I've popped my knuckles a lot all my life, and now I have arthritis. However, my right knee is my most severely-affected joint, followed by my right talo-calcaneal and my right third distal interphalangeal joint, which yes, I can pop. So if popping is the cause of OA, then how did it end up in 2 joints which have never been popped. There is also the possibility that popping causes joint damage that is different than OA.

A doctor in the states cracked knuckles unilaterally on his own hand for 50 years. No unilateral symptoms.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... k-research

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:44 pm 

JasonJones wrote:
A doctor in the states cracked knuckles unilaterally on his own hand for 50 years. No unilateral symptoms.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... k-research

Great study!