ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Forgive me if this topic exists in the depths somewhere, I searched for it but didn't really find what I'm looking for.

Another qualifier... I'm by no means putting up some of the numbers as other members on this site, that fact might answer my question.

Here's my question. For those using wrist wraps, did you notice your pressing and bencing numbers go up when you introduced them? My wrists dont scream in pain when i bench and press but they are pretty sore for a while after heavy sets. I also recently read an article about the wrist being a weak point in the bench and wrapping them will often precede bigger weight going up. Is this true? Are they worth it? Should i work with what i have until my numbers are elite level (they never will be by the way, those type of numbers arent exactly my training goal)? that being said, who doesnt want to press more weight over their head..
Yes, I suppose i should just buy some and figure it out on my own, but i thought i'd risk the 'try it and see' responses for hopefully some advice from experience.

man thanks.
nick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:25 am 
Associate Member
Associate Member

I use wrist wraps when doing curls, cleans, front squats and 'heavy' upper body pressing.

Broscience: you shouldnt use them with light weight, your wrist could get stronger and able to handle stress better.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:45 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if benching hurts your wrists, then you should most definitely use wraps.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 am 

I've used them in the past and keep them around for when I tweak my wrist. Their cheap. Buy you a pair and see if they work. I never saw an increase, but it definitely gives you more support and more confidence.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 am 

Definitely give you more support with heavier weights especially if you have thin wrists (like me). You're less likely to bend your wrists back which can change everything in the lift and with beginners especially, this is one of the first things that happens when the weight gets heavy (the wrists bend back).

However I think you should be able to bench without them and if you use them to mask a poor wrist position when benching, I think it's a bad idea.

Make sure the bar is places above the wrist and not behind the wrist, and crush the bar like your life depends on it. This also lights up your rotator cuff further enhancing stability.

Personally I don't use them or own a pair. A training partner has some and i've used them for some heavy sets and liked them, though.

KPj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 am 

You don't need to apologize for your numbers. We have people of all sizes, shapes and abilities here. And, it's a legitimate question regardless of how much you bench.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:47 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the tips guys--and for not bruising my ego doc ;)--I'll buy a pair and see how I like them.

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:17 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Bench expert Joey Smith has a video about tips and demonstration on how to put wrist wraps on correctly. Check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... HfEtdde0M#!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:01 pm 

I found a couple of years ago that I was getting severe wrist pain when I benched heavy. I tried some wraps out and that did the trick. The thing is though, you have to use them correctly. Wrist wraps are the most uncomfortable piece of equipment that I use (if used properly), but that may be because I dont use knee wraps.

If you do it right, you can pretty much just leave them on for as long as it takes you to do the set, I get mine off as soon as I can after I let the weight down.

Also... call it broscience if you want, but I advocate avoiding them until you have to use them.

Also, find a different vid. There's got to be one out there. You put the wrap on each wrist loosely. Then, right before your set, you unwrap off one wrist (lets call this wrist #1), onto the fist of the other hand until you get down to the end (the thumb loop of wrap is still on wrist #1, but the wrap is scrolled around the fist from wrist #2), then, pulling it tight, you wrap back around wrist #1. You make a very strong fist with wrist #1 right before you start wrapping it. No need to switch grips or mess around with letting go and regripping the wrap. Experience will tell you how tight you want to get (should be uncomfortably tight even at the loosest). I go anywhere from cutting off the circulation (loosest), to vised into a cast (tightest) depending on the weight. You shouldnt be able to more than partially relax your wrapped hand. Then repeat on the other side and ... lift!