ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:16 pm 
former lurker

I have a client that when performing dips has a more superficial pain (muscular) at about where the sternalis muscle is. It is a pinching type pain, and it is just with this exercise. I am trying to think of 1.) what could be causing this pain
2. alternatives to this exercise ( although this is not preferred because he likes the weighted dips, and the impact they have on his tri's
or 3. what/ where to target strengthening exercises/ what to do to get rid of this pain.

Does anyone have a similar problem/ have you heard of this before?

Any help is appreciated!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:29 pm 

Using sternalis as a reference point isn't very helpful, since this is not a muscle that is normally present, but a rare anatomic variant.
This is probably an overuse injury of his pec. You should probably follow the usual recipe of rest, ice, antiinflamatories, gradual re-introcuction of the exercise, low volume without weighting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:37 pm 
former lurker

Thanks, appreciate it. I used sternalis because it seemed a little less convoluted than 1/2 inch from sternum, also because although I know it is more of an accessory muscle, I wonder if it couldn't be something since it not a piercing but rather a pinching pain. I do appreciate your insight!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:18 pm 

Actually, sternalis isn't even an accessory muscle for most people. Most people don't even have it.

So yeah, pain along the insertion of the sternal head, probably some form of pec strain or overuse. My guess.