ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:08 am 
n00b
n00b

Hello all, I am working on an assignment for my neuromuscular adaptations to strength training class. I have all sets of questions complete but this one with the multiple parts is really troubling me.
I have to develop an argument against these because they are supposed to be untrue. I need understand the specific mechanisms concepts, and terms, rather than generalizations descriptions to refute these. Any input that can help me get a better insight to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jazz

a.) Having to build more ATP every time you use it is inefficient. Why not allow more to be stored in the sarcoplasm so that a greater amount is present immediately?
b.) You also made it so that ATP supply never runs very low. What purpose does having to resynthesize ATP at its rate of use in order to keep levels relatively high at all times serve?
c.) During a sustained MVC, you have built a feature into the nervous system that reduces frequency of activation (rate coding) in motor units that are activated. Why would you want reduced stimulation at a time when you are looking for a maximal effort?
d.) When your humans move rapidly and/or must exert high levels of force, they cannot simply recruit the fibers that are most appropriate for the task (fast-twitch fibers). What purpose does having to recruit slow-twitch fibers for these tasks serve?
e.) Some of your less intelligent humans tend to spew a lot of nonsense from their mouths that appears to distract some of your more intelligent ones. You have made the eye with a lid that can be closed in circumstances where it is not desirable to see something in the line of sight. Why don’t you have a similar mechanism for the ear?
f.) The longitudinal arrangement of muscle fibers allows all of the force to be transmitted along the long axis of the fiber. What possible reason could there be to have angled (pennate) attachments in other muscles? Surely, both speed and force will be compromised.
g.) Why use third-class levers that are mechanically disadvantaged with respect to developing force?
h.) Why didn’t you build in a restrictor that prevents membrane potential from ever surpassing (i.e., becoming more negative than) that which is required at rest (e.g., -70 mV)?

and -->

3.) Motor Unit A has an innervation ratio (motor neuron to fibers) of 1 to 10. Motor Unit B contains muscle fibers that innervate the same muscle as Motor Unit A. Motor Unit C contains fibers that innervate an antagonist of the muscle innervated by Motor Units A and B. Answer the following about these motor units:

EPSP > IPSP in Motor Units A, B and C simultaneously. What phenomenon does this represent? Name two purposes of this activation strategy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:18 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Double post. Mods, please delete.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:50 pm 

There is no need to post the same thing in more than one forum. Everyone here pretty much reads every forum. If, by some odd chance, there were someone here who was willing to do your homework for you, you would reach them just fine just posting in one place.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]