ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:22 pm 
Necromancer
Necromancer

This thread is not about the long head, because unlike the other 2, it's a bi-axial muscle that crosses the sholder joint so obviously changing shoulder position alters it's length and recruitment.

But the medial and lateral heads are different. They cross a single joint, the elbow. They attach to the ulna.

I've been hearing there are ways to alter which head works harder, but I haven't heard anything consistent, or any good explanations on why it would be, nor any evidence to back up any claims.

To be honest, I don't really care much at this point, my triceps aren't big enough for it to matter. But I want to understand stuff like this, and I don't understand this thought process at all.

ExRx clearly hasn't made the distinction. It just has 'triceps' exercises (not even distinguishing long head) just as it only has biceps exercises.

But I'm wondering if anyone has any beliefs about if there's a type of exercise that emphasizes lateral over medial, or medial over lateral. I'm wondering why you think this (why do you think it's true, what's your explanation of why it wuold happen?) and if you know of any studies that provide evidence of the theory.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 pm 

This came up once before. Using a reverse grip on bench press or extensions is supposed to target the medial head. Using a rope attachment may make a difference too.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:57 am 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Yeah but I wish I knew why it's supposed to do that... I mean supination/pronation is just movement of the radius and the ulna stays fixed right? So how does it affect the triceps?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it's all speculation. I've never seen any evidence, or noticed any difference.