ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight Issues
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:47 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I know the common refrain : Don't worry about weight, because you can lose fat and gain muscle mass. Only thing is, as a wrestler, I have decisions to make. Unfortunately (this would have been helpful) I don't have my body fat %, although I could post a picture of my body (sans face) to help you guys out in that regard. I'm 5'8, 172 lb. During the winter, I was about 185 - I've lost a bunch, hopefully mainly fat, since late April. I don't have a six pack, although the top two do have some definition, the bottom four don't.

Now, I have a dilemma. I could try to cut down below 171 (a weight qualification) and live like that until winter, which would essentially mean no more bulking, as I need a 7% body fat to be eligible, and there are new hydration tests as well. The next weight class up is 189... a steep jump. When I was in the 180's, I wasn't fat at all - maybe a few pant sizes bigger, but all that means is instead of a 30 I might be a 33. At 5'8 172 obviously I'm somewhat built, so I don't think I could be able to add a whole truckload of muscle mass in half a year. I do have some questions, however, and any additional suggestions would be interesting (I know there is at least 1 former wrestler on this forum) -

1.) Does anyone know any exercises that work traditionally unworked muscle groups? I started doing hip flexor and extensor exercises and within weeks I immediately noticed enlargement in the pelvic/upper leg area, I assume as a result of this. I already hit most muscle groups in my workout, but perhaps there are some overlooked ones. I know I need to add rotator cuff exercises, but I'm not sure which exercises are the best. If there are any other muscles like hip flexors and rotators that are usually unworked (or not worked enough) in regular exercise routines.

2.) My quads seem to have stalled. I do squats about every 3rd or 4th day, I get plenty of rest, but I don't feel anything in my quads when I do them. Definately feel it in my calves, though. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a leg press machine, although I plan on joining a Y in order to get access to more machines, I'm stuck with about 400 lb in free weights, two customizable dumbells, one barbell, a bench, a leg curl extension to the bench, and an ab machine (which I use, sidways, for my hips). If I'm going to try to pack on more mass, I don't want it to be on my already large upper body, I want it to be mainly in my lower body, which has been neglected through the years. Other 'underdeveloped' areas : Back (although not really lats), obliques, hamstrings, glutes, and my lower back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:48 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I should say that I've been lifting constantly for 4 months now, I'm thinking of giving it a 2-week break in order to break pleateaus, which I've seemingly encountered on many muscles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:19 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Do you deadlift? What about Romanian deadlifts? Also, how deep do you squat? Generally speaking you want to at least break parallel, even if it means using less weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:15 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

I understand your weight concerns, being a former wrestler in both HS, College, and did a little international style while in the military )both Greo Roman and freestyle). Simply put, and this goes to both 1 and somewhat to the latter end of 2, that in order to get most of the neglected groups, (posterior chain, obliques) full body moves, with both DB's (1 and 2 handed) and BBs get the most amount of muscle, and hit them in unison. The snatch gets every muscle in the body (maybe not so much the chest, but P bar dips can help there), as does the clean and pushpress. O lifts, standard basic compound exercises, and bodyweight stuff would all work well in unison for your needs. I suggest you look over at http://www.crossfit.com
They work for all over total fitness, and is also very applicable to MA and wrestling types. Lots of interval type training thrown in over there.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:32 am 

Many wrestlers I've known have had big, muscular upper bodies and small legs. I don't know if this was deliberate or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:41 am 

Most of us had fairly strong legs, as most coaches had us doing partner squats and partner carrys (put a guy on your shoulders and squat him 10 times) on a daily basis. Bt your observations on the size of the quads is pretty correct, whether it was dliberate or not. The roughest kid I ever ran into was a polio survivor, and his legs were rather withered, yet he kept them strong. This put him in at least two weight classe down from where he would have been with "mormal" legs, and he could overpower just about anyone with upperbody strength in his weight class. Legs do not necessarily have to be large for wrestling, but must be strong and explosive, to get up from a down position. Although I don't do the MA's with any regularity, I would think the requirements would be similar, keep them strong and explosive, but certainly don't put on bulk for bulks sake.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:41 am 

The only advantage I can see for a wrestler having thin legs is that it would make him lighter, compared to someone with thick muscular legs and equal upper-body strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:51 am 

No I don't think bulk for it's own sake makes sense, but adding quality muscle mass will translate to greater strength and power. I used to have a big advantage in Judo simply because I had such a strong base. Combined with my low center of gravity it made me really hard to knock of ballance. Meanwhile, if I got a hold of one or both of the other guys legs it was a safe bet he was going down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:53 am 

I've also noticed that most wrestlers in the upper weight classes have big, muscular legs. It's only the smaller guys who walk around on toothpicks, which seems to fit with what you said.