ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: climbing ropes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:00 pm 

KPj, you retract your scaps at the END of the row? I have always tried to retract them FIRST, and hold them throughout the movement.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:40 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Jungledoc wrote:
KPj, you retract your scaps at the END of the row? I have always tried to retract them FIRST, and hold them throughout the movement.

No, I think the upper arm and scap should move rhythmically, in sync with each other. So you should retract as you row (most of the time i.e. what you describe is how I want the scap on a bench press). Almost as if your scap are pulling your elbows towards your body.

However you shouldn't really need to think about this, it should be natural when good form is used.

What you describe is actually a technique I use quite often. A lot of people don't have the body awareness to know what their scap is doing. In that case I teach a retraction first, hold the tension, then row, then straighten the arm, protract, and that's one rep. I do this for a while then I just tell them to row with the elbows in one fluid movement and everything works the way it should (sometimes just a couple of sets does the trick and other times i've had people row like that for weeks).

If you've been rowing like that, I'd bet that you have a lot of rowing strength sitting there ready to be opened up if you just start pulling with the elbows :salute:

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:57 pm 

Yeah, I don't focus on elbows. Makes sense that it all the joints should work together. I'll try to think about this next row session.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 am 

it's funny, since I fixed my row technique I actually feel my back working loads more on ALL back exercises, especially face pulls. Got to love the MMC