Post subject: Shoulder weakness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:16 pm 
former lurker

Age 37.
Entering my 3rd year of weight training
Weight 75kg
Reasonably lean physique.

Hi,

Always been aware of some weakness in my right shoulder. A slight twinge of pain in shoulder when hyper extending especially if forearm raised and moving arm toward rear. Exact location of pain hard to say, somewhere in rear deltoid - nothing I've been concerned about.

Never experienced any injury or sudden pain in this area that I recall.

Over last 8 months, this has become progressively more painful especially with dumbbell chest press, press-up and chest dip exercises. Chest press, right-arm particularly weak when raising weights from starting position laid back on bench. I’ve stopped doing chest press for last 3 months.

Pain has gradually subsided, not present in day to day activity.

Also focused on rear deltoid exercises which have been absent from my routine and other rotator cuff exercises.

Still, if any workout indirectly involving shoulders, even bicep curls for example, I would find it painful to do dumbbell shoulder press exercises afterwards on my right shoulder. Left shoulder just fine.

Have noticed that deltoid acromial part on right shoulder appears under-developed compared to left shoulder. Notice this when raising forearm to side and to shoulder height – delt is considerably more pronounced on stronger shoulder at the top of the muscle.

1. Is this under-developed acromial delt the cause of my shoulder weakness?
2. Is this symptomatic of anything other than an poorly executed workout/form?

Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Shoulder weakness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:13 pm 

scottiedawg wrote:
Still, if any workout indirectly involving shoulders, even bicep curls for example, I would find it painful to do dumbbell shoulder press exercises afterwards on my right shoulder. Left shoulder just fine.

The bicep tendon crosses the shoulder joint. These 2 exercises should never be done in this order as it can lead to shoulder impingement. The bicep tendon swells and reduces the space available to the other shoulder tendons. There are lots of reasons that the bicep tendon could get inflamed in the first place and there are lots of complications and interactions with rotator cuff muscles. It's best to have a doctor look at it and he will likely refer you to a physiotherapist. Do a search for Bicep Tendonosis.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Post subject: Re: Shoulder weakness
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:01 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

good to know.

Any other combination I may want to avoid?