ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:12 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stu, what you stated is not dogma. The dogma begins with statements that begin "You MUST Never..." and "Absolutely always..."

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:04 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

86.1% of people trying to get stronger should spend 92.6% of their time on 74.8% of the movements, using free weights or cables or heavy stuff that is not fixed in all but one plane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 am 
Novice
Novice

For me, that machine works as its easy, if I tried to use dumbbells I wouldn't have the correct technique so for the time being, its the machine. Thanks for all the advice and the debate, provides a real insight into everything.

robertscott, when you say curls, what do you mean exactly?

Also, I didn't know whether to start a knew topic or not, but, I was hoping to introduce some anterior/lateral work back into my workout, I was wondering how can I adjust the shoulder press to increase the amount of posterior effort. Any sort of change/variation? I've got a long standing shoulder problem and after working hard to correct a muscle imbalance, I feel this could be the next step or shoulder rehab.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:24 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

correct technique for dumbells is easy (although I myself was doing it wrong until fairly recently), just make sure you keep your back arched and really concentrate on pulling your shoulder blade back.

When I mentioned curls I meant any variation of bicep curls, so barbell curls, dumbell curls, hammer curls etc. Just pick one and do 3 sets at the end of back day.

You can't really alter a shoulder press to hit the posterior delt. You can bring in more lateral delt using dumbells with your arms out to the side, but it'll always be an anterior delt move primarily. It might not be the best exercise for you if you've shoulder problems.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:56 am 

NightFaLL wrote:
If I load up a smith machine for instance, with the effective weight of 405lbs and do incline bench press on it for reps, would you think I wasn't strong?

I'd say you were good at moving a weight through a mechanically-restrained bar path. I'd be more impressed if you could free-press a bar with... I don't know, but less than that.

It's just a matter of what you want to accomplish. If you want to be able to push a weight through a track in a machine, than that's the best way to practice that skill. If you want to really lift heavy things, then lift some heavy things.