ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You say you use a progressive system, and get the progress in weight, but don't have it in 1RM? I think you could try to add reps or sets too especially when the weight gets heavy. It will be hard at some point to go from 3x5 to 3x5 when there's even a little extra resistance involved. Like first doing 3x3 then 3x4 or 5x3, and slowly progress to 3x5, then get more weight. It's good to train with lower intensities and start slow and easy so to speak, but eventually it would be preferrable to atleast visit the more max effort zone of 80-90% of your 1RM.

Just one question remains. I noticed you said something about your long period of non-training. How consistent are you with your training? Is it like on-off training, or have you really been going to the gym and busting balls to the walls constantly for two years?

Yeah milk get's you some protein and carbs, that's good. Some calsium and vitamins as well. Like Stu said, get more carbo-loaded vegetables and fruits after working out.

KenDowns wrote:
Find out what bodybuilders do. We have some here, but the mainstream here is powerlifting, and that won't get you the right advice.

But he's looking to improve his three major lifts(bench, deadlift and squat) and increase strenght. He doesn't care much for getting lean or cut or hyperthrophy in general. Isn't that more of a powerlifter approach? I mean, what bodybuilder would say it's okay to have some fat and that I want to get stronger on my thee big meet lifts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:34 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Dub wrote:
KenDowns wrote:
Find out what bodybuilders do. We have some here, but the mainstream here is powerlifting, and that won't get you the right advice.

But he's looking to improve his three major lifts(bench, deadlift and squat) and increase strenght. He doesn't care much for getting lean or cut or hyperthrophy in general. Isn't that more of a powerlifter approach? I mean, what bodybuilder would say it's okay to have some fat and that I want to get stronger on my thee big meet lifts.

He wants to be strong with low body fat. That's a bodybuilder. Bodybuilders are strong.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austrian_o ... 893569360/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:33 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Actually I just want to hit those numbers in my lifts while staying at roughly the bodyfat I am now, which is right around 20% - and which I wouldn't consider low. I don't need to get leaner - but I don't want to get sloppy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I started sneaking in a 2nd breakfast of 1 cup full fat cottage cheese and a mid afternoon snack of 1 cup full fat greek yogurt. Skim milk and whey Pre and post workout.

Energy is much better and I am killing my workouts. I'll stick with this for a while and see where it gets me.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Just wanted to give an update to this.

Weighed in today at 224lbs, I am now taking creatine and getting a regular 9 hours of sleep.

MY last workout was:
Squat ATG 315x3x5 beltless vs 315 w/ belt and poor form before
Bench 190x3x5 vs 165 before
Deadlift 325x3x5 (still working on this guy, this particular lift seems like it is all over the place)
Bent Over Row 165x3x5 vs. 85 before

I am back on a linear progression and making progress each workout in all of my lifts (+5 to upper body soon to taper to +2.5, +5 Squat, +10 Dead)

Some lessons learned:

1. I just do not function optimally on low carb. The hit to performance (mental and physical) that people like Robb Wolf talk about just never went away for me. I spent two months feeling terrible before deciding to give up on it. Two weeks ago I started to eat whatever I wanted as long as it was no more than 3000 kcal (tracked via fitday), and started back on a linear plan (I had stalled out on every lift when low carb). For the most part this meal plan was 200 g of protein and then a bunch of oatmeal, white jasmine rice, or sweet potato, with veggies mixed in. I rarely go a meal without at least 50g carb. I feel better and my mental and physical preparedness is outstanding.

2. Low carb is a fantastic way for me to rapidly lose weight. Works like a charm.

3. I fluctuate up to 14 pounds depending on carb load and water weight. The difference in my appearance when I am taking creatine and eating carbs vs. not is huge. 14 pounds is a lot. This makes it very hard to tell my current weight status. Isn't that a really ridiculous variance? Is that normal?

4. My bench press shot through the roof when I started with the heavy rows. Wow.

5. The big question of the day - When it is time to lean out, should I just back off my total numbers of sets to 1x5 and switch to a low carb plan? Or am I going to lose a boatload of strength without the volume? I am worried that my performance will tank if I go low carb and all of my strength gains will disappear. On the other hand, because of the water weight issue in #3 above, it is going to be hard to tell what my weight situation is if I try to lose weight while still eating a significant amount of carbs.

If you were me - would you keep on doing what I am doing until it stopped working? I'm starting to doubt myself because I am squeezing into 36" jeans now vs 34" before. Standard "used to be a fat kid" fare, I guess.

Any input is appreciated :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:12 pm 

14 lb swing seems a lot, and it's more than my weight swings. I'll shift 5 lbs back and forth that way. It doesn't mean that anythings wrong. If you're carrying more muscle there is more opportunity for glycogen and water uptake. It's still just water and glycogen, it's not fat or muscle. I would say that if you can lean out to an acceptable level every few months or so, I wouldn't worry about your weight. Just keep doing what works.

Strength responds more to the load, not the volume. You will lose the pump along with the water. You may not gain strength but you won't lose it if you keep the 1x5 at a minimum.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

14 is a lot. Most people don't take on that much water unless they are taking steroids. Are you taking tribulus? Some people who are sensitive to estrogenic sides can get water retention like that from trib.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Ironman wrote:
14 is a lot. Most people don't take on that much water unless they are taking steroids. Are you taking tribulus? Some people who are sensitive to estrogenic sides can get water retention like that from trib.

Nope. Only supplements are creatine and a one-a-day...