Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:36 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

ephs wrote:
another question:

how would you compare the stress on the feet at soccer, running and squats? if i'm comfortable with running, does it mean i could try to go back to serious leg training? i dont want to destroy my foot again.

Obviously it's a bit different. On the other hand, running is extremely hard on the foot since you take quite an impact for thousands of reps. Then again, squats have a constant pressure on the center of your feet (if your form is correct), which isn't cool either. If you are okay with running, start building the squat.
DO bodyweight first, then maybe with a bar. Does it hurt or feel uncomfortable? Stop doing. If not, add a couple of kg/pounds. Build up and see how you feel.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am 
Novice
Novice

ephs wrote:
another question:

how would you compare the stress on the feet at soccer, running and squats?
Running puts a stress of up to 10 times body weight on the knee joint (see, for example, http://www.kneeclinic.info/knee_sports_ ... unning.php ) albeit for very short instances that repeat some thousands times, as opposed to squats where the stress is continuous throughout the motion but lasts for, say, 10 times or so. I doubt anyone can compare these two situations directly. My feeling is that more people injure their knees by running than by squatting (relative to the number of people performing the activity). Soccer is probably the worst thing you can do to your knees, with all them sharp direction changes which apply high stress in all kinds of weird angles on a non-uniform surface, not to mention the possibility being kicked at the knee joint by the opponent - probably can get to some serious tens of g's.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:37 pm 

thx for the advice. i think, its always the same. the best is to try and find out, if my body is ready again :-D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 am 

josh60 wrote:
ephs wrote:
another question:

how would you compare the stress on the feet at soccer, running and squats?
Running puts a stress of up to 10 times body weight on the knee joint (see, for example, http://www.kneeclinic.info/knee_sports_ ... unning.php ) albeit for very short instances that repeat some thousands times, as opposed to squats where the stress is continuous throughout the motion but lasts for, say, 10 times or so. I doubt anyone can compare these two situations directly. My feeling is that more people injure their knees by running than by squatting (relative to the number of people performing the activity). Soccer is probably the worst thing you can do to your knees, with all them sharp direction changes which apply high stress in all kinds of weird angles on a non-uniform surface, not to mention the possibility being kicked at the knee joint by the opponent - probably can get to some serious tens of g's.

So you're assuming that the relative stress on the feet would be the same as on the knees?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:32 am 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
So you're assuming that the relative stress on the feet would be the same as on the knees?
Hmmm. Yeh, I guess I implicitly made that assumption, which might be incorrect (due to the torque on the knees). Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:05 am 

so, how is the real pressure? or is it okay to also use the assumptions for pressure on feet?

the biggest problem is, you never know if you are ready for soccer, cause it's a very hard pressure when you hit the ball. i am a bit scared of the training which starts in one week. i'm still feeling that my right foot is not 100% healthy, but maybe it will take a while til everything is completely normal again. i hope that my foot doesn't get destroyed again next week...but while running i have no problems, that's nice.