ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am 

http://www.jimwendler.com/2012/05/ode-and-origins-by-paul-carter/

Caution - there is a lot of blue language in this, but all I can say is brilliant. Here is an excerpt:

It was over three years ago when I first sent Jim an e-mail. Just basic training talk. At that time, Jim’s training was evolving into what everyone knows as 5/3/1 now. The things he wrote at that time about training, resonated with me because it so closely echoed my own thoughts about what a training methodology should look like. Grass roots/blue collar barbell lifting, focusing on basic movements, simple progression, and doing some hard conditioning. Nothing new, and certainly nothing that other coaches and lifters haven’t been doing for decades. But you’d be hard pressed to find anyone talking about it then for the most part. Especially at that time.

Grass roots barbell lifting had gotten buried under bands and chains and foam and all sorts of crap that never made sense to me. All the strongest guys I knew of had gotten that way with a f-ing barbell and dumbbells. When did that go out of style? Why was that not good enough anymore? I was told “those guys could do anything and get f-ing strong. If you’re not a genetic mutant, then you have to do other crap to get strong.”

What the f?
If that were the case, then why did all of those guys CHOOSE to train that way? They chose an inferior way of training? Andy Bolton and Benni train like that. So does Savickas. So it’s not like those guys don’t know about other training methods, and yet they chose to train in a very basic f-ing fashion. You’re telling me that if those guys all trained using these “advanced methods” they’d be even stronger? Get the f outta here with that bottle of farts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

"bottle of farts"

I'm stealing that.

Good read.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:02 am 
Novice
Novice

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
"bottle of farts"

I'm stealing that.