ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:50 pm 

led7x wrote:
But is it possible if I start doing weight training that my bodyweight (pushups,pullups...) become too easy?

That would be a good thing. That means you are getting stronger. Then you can move to muscle ups and handstand pushups and weighted pistols and a whole host of stuff you might have only seen in the circus or at the olympics. (well maybe not that advanced, but you can dream)

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:58 pm 
Novice
Novice

Haha if I accomplish that things I'll let you know :) Thanks for the info, I'll start weight training very soon and after that I'm going at the next olympics :thumbright:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:31 pm 

led7x wrote:
What do you guys think if I add weight training 1-2 days a week (2-3 days of bodyweight)? I thought on doing deadlifts, bicep and bench press. Is it better to stick with only one or I could do both?

Deadlift would be particularly appropriate, since there isn't really any bw exercise that is equivalent. Also, a vertical push (i.e. "military" press), unless you are indeed doing hand-stand push-ups.

Bench press wouldn't be so important since you have horizontal press covered with your push-ups. Your biceps are also well-covered with your pull-ups.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc what do you suggest then? Any other useful exercises? My thought was to do 3 days BW, 2 days weights training.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:57 am 

Well, I'm not a big fan of 5 a week myself, but since 3 of them are BW maybe it would work. Also, to lift 5 times a week you will almost have to have some overlap. So ignore my criticism of barbell bench and bis.

Monday, weights: DL, press, curl

Tuesday, BW: squats, pushups, inverted rows

Wednesday, BW: pullups, lunges, planks

Thursday, weights: barbell squats, bench press, DB rows

Friday, BW: dips, pullups, butler walk

Obviously, nothing rigid. If you want to put a rest day in there somewhere instead of both rest days on the weekend, fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:49 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm going to rest on wednesday, and I plan to do 4-5 times a week depending how my college schedule lets me. Thank you for practice schedule :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi guys :) I didnt post here for a longer period but I read this forum daily.

So far I've been working out for 2 months and I can see benefits (I gained about 3,5kgs); I'll try to post picture soon.
I also got some question which came on my mind recently.

I made program for myself and I stick to it, I also change exercises and cycles so my body doesnt adapt on workouts. (I can post it also)

Should I do exercises which complement each other depending on a workout or it doesnt matter if I do some completely different exer. in one workout?

I'm also fairly interested in sets, repetitions and rest times. For example: I do 8-10 pullups rest 45sec and repeat that 2 more times in one set; rest 2-3 minutes and do same pullup
routine with different pullup variation. Is it better to do all that pullups in one set (8-10 reps then rest) or should I take breaks when changing variation eventhought I'll stay on pullups? Do I also need to rest(2-3min) when going from one type of exer to another or I just keep same rest period (30s-1min) no matter which exercise I'm going to do next. I'm bothered with that question with all exercices, pullups were just example :)

And same question when using weights; I do rows, curls, deadlift and bench.