ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wing'ing it
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:05 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Last few weeks I have not followed a program. I figure out what movements I'll do and approximate volume and weight. I used to write it all down and before 5/3/1 would know exactly how many reps I'd do. With 5/3/1 at least the last set would vary.
I've stopped logging but I do have it on voice memo. I figure rather than writing down every single outcome, I'll note items that help track progress becauase...

I'm doing differnt exercises each time. I mean, I come back around, but swap out continuously. Tonight, its looking like Heavy Deads, few dbls, maybe go for 1RM personal record, see how feel, then some squatting at 80%+, sets of 3, maybe 14-20 total reps.. Some antiflexion core, lateral delt, and tricep work. No pressing, Possible wide grip seated rows for delts
I base it on what I've done lately and how diff body parts need/respond/recover

It started while I was busy these last 4 weeks at work and didn't want to take the time to write it out, log the last session - and ... stress all day about "those dreaded heavy squats" etc. There is something more relaxing about this way. My progress so far has not shown any detrimental effect, i.e. I'm not slacking

Am I too new to try this approach?

Post subject: Re: Wing'ing it
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:05 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

na, it'll work as long as you don't keep subbing out the exercises you suck at for easy ones