ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:59 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

emil i have the same problem in squats when repping to failure or doing heavy single. My back stays straight but i tend to gm out of the hole. Theres loads of options:

1. More back squat with lighter weights
2. Front squat. You have to maintain upright posture else the bar will fall of your shoulders
3. Partial rack back squat. Set bars to lower than your weak point preferably where you first start to slow down. Deload each rep on bars.
4. Anything that works hammies and glutes as long as you like the movement. Doing something you dont like or believe in is not going to work since your not motivated to do it properly.

Bang these with 3x10/5x10 or any other set/rep scheme you want but weak points should be hit hard with reps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:26 pm 

I've already done all the necessary pull earn fitter. Why should I be willing to do it again?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:50 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

kibe69 wrote:
Bang these with 3x10/5x10 or any other set/rep scheme you want but weak points should be hit hard with reps.

Thanks for these, kibe!
You mentioned having the same problem--have you worked it out?

Doc wrote:
I've already done all the necessary pull earn fitter. Why should I be willing to do it again?

At first, I didn't think to check page 3, so I just assumed that you sometimes post while intoxicated :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:23 pm 

emil3m wrote:
Doc wrote:

At first, I didn't think to check page 3, so I just assumed that you sometimes post while intoxicated :)

I wonder what language the spammer was translating from? It was probably supposed to be something like "pay your dues".

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

This routine is hands down the best thing that I've experienced in my gym career!

5x5 across
A: Squat, Bench, BB Row
B: Deadlift, Press, Chin
***At the end of each session I do a 3x12 delt+core superset.

Question: Are the hamstrings getting neglected? I have been experiencing soreness everywhere but hams..

Last edited by emil3m on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:46 am 

emil3m wrote:
This routine is hands down the best thing that I've experienced in my gym career!

5x5
A: Squat, Bench, BB Row
B: Deadlift, Press, Chin
***At the end of each session I do a 3x12 delt+core superset.

Question: Are the hamstrings getting neglected? I have been experiencing soreness everywhere but hams..

sounds good. why do you consider it the best? more fun or way better results than before? did you try to not make the supersets at the end and the training was not enough for core and delt?

i never had soreness in my hamstrings. neither with freakin long runs, nor with hard soccer or weight training. so i think it's normal.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ephs wrote:
- why do you consider it the best? more fun or way better results than before?

- did you try to not make the supersets at the end and the training was not enough for core and delt?

A few reasons why I really like it:
It's focused. 3 main lifts per day (plus 2 accessory lifts for dessert).
It's compact. Whole body barbell training for an hour, three times a week.
It enabled me to learn the lifts through ton of volume at low intensity.
Most important of all: intensity PROGRESSION is so motivating! I can't stress this enough. I am trying to prolong this by using tiny 5lb increments. No matter how small that may sound, it has been very effective.

The supersets were robertscott's idea. He suggests adding another for biceps/triceps, but my workout is already hitting the 65min mark (which is a good 10-15 min over what I'd like it to be).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 am 

the little increment thing sounds very good. why does it take so long, too long rests? so you are training 3 times a week?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

ephs wrote:
the little increment thing sounds very good. why does it take so long, too long rests? so you are training 3 times a week?

For the first exercise on each day (squat and deadlift respectively), I like to have 3 warmup sets. The following two main lifts get 2 warmup sets each. Bear in mind that I am still doing 5x5 work sets across. Plus the 3x12 delt-core SS.

I use a timer to make sure I rest about 45sec between warmup sets and 90sec between work sets. All in all, I have to make sure to switch plates and record in my journal pretty swiftly if I want to fit into 60-65 minutes.

Once weight gets too heavy for 5x5, I may switch to 4x6 or 4x5. When that's done, maybe increase the rest a bit. Cross that bridge later. From what I understand, change is on order when you can't finish the exercise on 3 consecutive tries.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Anyone can weigh in on my hamstrings question? It seems the only work they get is as stabilizers on Day A (squat day).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:19 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

emil3m wrote:
Anyone can weigh in on my hamstrings question? It seems the only work they get is as stabilizers on Day A (squat day).
Remember that hammies are a major extensor of the hip and a big flexor of the knee. Squatting and deadlifting involve both movements. It's called Lombards paradox. You use both the quads and the hammies when you get up, and still the muscles won't necessary change length because they counteract with each other, they are antagonist muscles to each other. If you are moving correctly, you should get both firing when squatting. You can try some hamstring activation before squatting to enhance the feeling.

Deadlifts should also be working on your hammies quite well. It is a posterior chain exercise after all. Uses everything from calves to hammies to glutes to back muscles. If you still feel you could use more hamstring work, add some accessorial sets to the workout. 2-3 sets for 5-12 reps or so.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 am 

an update of progression would be nice.