ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:17 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I love this AB variation. Bought ankle weights from amazon to add resistance. Now I read this article and the guy basically says that I'm supposed to use a dipping belt. That does not make intuitive sense to me. Wouldn't that be pulling my torso down? Did I waste my money and need to shell out for a dipping belt?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/simon7.htm

"Adding weight: I used to use a normal weight belt, a piece of chain and a padlock but now I got a good dipping belt from Bodybuilding.com but the idea is to add weight at your waist, not your legs. I find that this makes for more comfort on your lower regions (I will leave it at that), also if you had the weight at your legs this drill would turn into a leg drill rather than a midsection drill. If you do choose to add weight to your legs I have done this using a neck harness from Bodybuilding.com."

Last edited by emil3m on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:57 am 

Ankle weights will work. I've done then it that way. A weight belt works too. A weight at the hips is less leverage that one at the ankles so it will feel different and likely require more weight to get the same effect. You may need a weight belt for dips and chin ups at some point, but I wouldn't worry about it for leg raises.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:22 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

stuward wrote:
Ankle weights will work. I've done then it that way. A weight belt works too. A weight at the hips is less leverage that one at the ankles so it will feel different and likely require more weight to get the same effect. You may need a weight belt for dips and chin ups at some point, but I wouldn't worry about it for leg raises.

Good to hear! What’s a good volume if I want to pack some lean meat in that area? 4x10 or is that too much?

I used to work core 9x15 using 3 different variations interspersed with other exercises. You know, one of those "volume" myths...