ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Creatine for PWO shake?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:04 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is it a common practice among members here? That would mean I am taking 5g 3-4 times a week.

Would you just buy the one that is produced by your brand of whey/casein? I have been using Optimum Nutrition whey and casein without side effects (gas, rashes, or what not). Their creatine happens to be well reviewed on amazon. Before reading the sticky, I was one of those "morons" (freelance quotation) who thought creatine=juicing and that it disqualifies you as a natural athlete. That's just to say that I have no clue how to go about selecting one.

http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Creatine-Powder-Unflavored/dp/B002DYIZEO/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1345560991&sr=1-2&keywords=creatine

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:42 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

generally speaking any old creatine will do. Some of the cheap stuff isn't as pure. If you can, try and find one that uses Creapure which is a German creatine made with the typical German efficiency. Probably won't make that much difference though.

5g every day, including off days

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I like to take 5g of creatine Pre workout. Why? Because I feel like it's going to get used on my workout. No real science behind this, just broscience. Post workout should go well too. After all, creatine will help your recovery. On the off days I don't think the timing is important.

Creatine is a nice bonus and helps you lots to achieve your goals of lean athletic/semi-muscular look.

Almost any creatine monohydrate will do just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:07 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The description seems to satisfy both conditions:

"99.9 percent pure Creapure brand creatine monohydrate"

It's dirt-cheap too. $16 for 120 servings. Is that a red flag?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:10 am 

na all creatine is cheap. Have at it

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:07 am 

General advice -
Take it with some gatorade or sugarwater. Stay away from caffeine and highly acidic stuff like orange juice when you take it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Dub wrote:
I like to take 5g of creatine Pre workout. Why? Because I feel like it's going to get used on my workout. No real science behind this, just broscience.

Dub,

I had to burst your bubble but creatine doesn't get into your system fast enough to do anything for your workout.

Quote:
Post workout should go well too. After all, creatine will help your recovery. On the off days I don't think the timing is important.

The Creatine Controversy
David Barr
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ontroversy

Barr presents some great information on creatine.

Post Workout Creatine

Barr makes a strong argument as to how to stay on creatine all year. Barr pushes taking creatine after workout only on training days.

Barr also goes into how the muscles tend to soak up creatine post workout, somewhat like a dry sponge soaks up water.

On your off days, you don't take creatine.

The on-creatine workout days cycled with the off -no creatine days are short cycles that allow you to stay on creatine year round.

This is not cut in stone as the only way, just another way.

Quote:
Creatine is a nice bonus and helps you lots to achieve your goals of lean athletic/semi-muscular look.

Almost any creatine monohydrate will do just fine.

Good information.

Kenny Croxdale

Last edited by Kenny Croxdale on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:02 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

hoosegow wrote:
Stay away from caffeine and highly acidic stuff like orange juice when you take it.

Hoosegow,

Caffeine-Createin More Effective Combo
New research now indicates that the caffeine-creatine combination is more effective.

Insulin Analogy

The caffeine-creatine combination is more effective only when used at the right time.

It somewhat like triggering insulin release with high glycemic index foods.

After a workout insulin provides and anabolic "muscle building" enviroment.

When insulin is elevated outside the post workout zone, insulin produces fat storage.

"Nutrient Timing"

Research indicates caffeine has a somewhat similar effect with creatine.

The article below goes into it.

How to combine creatine and caffeine – and how not to
http://www.ergo-log.com/creatinecaffeine.html

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:10 am 

that ergo-log website you linked to Kenny is amazing, I only saw it for the first time a week or two ago but there's so much good stuff on there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:13 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
Dub,

I had to burst your bubble but creatine doesn't get into your system fast enough to do anything for your workout.
Aight. I kinda knew that. Haven't read any confirmation but I guessed it doesn't absorb too well within an hour. That's why I called it broscience. More like a placebo effect so to speak. However...
Quote:
The Creatine Controversy
David Barr
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... ontroversy
Barr presents some great information on creatine.
Post Workout Creatine
Barr makes a strong argument as to how to stay on creatine all year. Barr pushes taking creatine after workout only on training days.
Barr also goes into how the muscles tend to soak up creatine post workout, somewhat like a dry sponge soaks up water.
On your off days, you don't take creatine.
The on-creatine workout days cycled with the off -no creatine days are short cycles that allow you to stay on creatine year round.
This is not cut in stone as the only way, just another way.

This is an interesting piece. If I read correctly, you should cycle creatine by taking it only on workout days, because on off days it has no use since the storages are already filled. Now what about creatine loading? Or is that broscience too? The phase where people take 10-20g of creatine a day for a week or more to really strengthen the effect. By the logic in that article, it shouldn't have an effect.

By taking a mere 5g a day, I highly doubt that my storages are too overfed. Well, that plus the little amount from all the meat I eat daily. Since there are no cons, do I have any reasons to fear this overstoraging?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:27 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

All of the contributions are really helpful!

Kenny, even if not as effective, is it ok not to combine it with caffeine or is the effectiveness margin substantial?
I was thinking adding it to my PWO shake. (whole milk, banana, whey. Plus I eat a baked potato)

EDIT: I'm having 2 cups of coffee a day. Never after workout though. Don't think it qualifies as "high" as referenced in the article.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 am 

emil3m wrote:
All of the contributions are really helpful!

Kenny, even if not as effective, is it ok not to combine it with caffeine or is the effectiveness margin substantial?
I was thinking adding it to my PWO shake. (whole milk, banana, whey. Plus I eat a baked potato)

EDIT: I'm having 2 cups of coffee a day. Never after workout though. Don't think it qualifies as "high" as referenced in the article.

If you read the article, daily caffiene can interfere with creatine but a single high dose before an event can act as a boost. You wouldn't be taking it after your workout at any rate.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Last edited by stuward on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:47 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

That's great! I remember having a great workout after inadvertently drinking a cup of freshly ground coffee right before. I'll make it a habit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:45 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

My comment above was in response to what you said before the edit. Just in case it's confusing.

It's hard to estimate how much caffeine there is in two cups. Too many variables. It can be as low as 100mg or as high as 300mg. Coffee is awesome and it helps at work. I have 2 cups daily on a consistent basis. Even weekends.

Is there a point to still take creatine?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:25 pm 

I had not seen the creatine - caffeine. Though reading the study, it appears that my three cups of coffee a day negates any creatine use.