ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How's your warm-up?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:13 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Just wanted to open a thread dedicated to your personal favourites for warming up. I bet every one of us has different methods and ideas, so I thought it would be nice to share them a little. Maybe somebody will learn something new, or atleast try.

My main warm-ups at the moment last about 10 minutes. The it's off to work sets. I work out on a limited schedule, hence the strict time window. Anyway, they consist of two major parts:

1. General warm-up

a. Dynamic Stretches
b. Muscle activation
c. Mobility drills

2. Exercise warm-up sets

1. Is filled with exercises that prepare the body for whats coming. They are day-based. If I happen to have deadlifts, it's more based on posterior chain exercises. Stuff like lunges into hamstring stretch, UL glute bridges, hip hinges, band pull-aparts and core stabilization. If it's more upper body based, there are push-ups to side planks, shoulder mobility exercises, different band exercises, and thoracic spine mobility. I also like to include a couple of plyometrics at the end of the warm-up, like squat jumps or plyo push-ups.

2. Before the work sets I usually have 3-4 sets of warming up on the exercise. Always starting with only the bar. Then getting sets with 1-5 reps building the intensity and lowering the volume to the work sets. Like my front squat sets:
5 x 20kg
5 x 50kg
3 x 60kg
1 x 70kg
Workset starting with 5 x 80kg
If I feel like I need more, the last sets might include 3-5 reps as well.

I feel like this is a warm-up routine that gets me ready to go and hasn't failed me yet. No tightness or unreadiness on muscles, nervous system gets fired up, not feeling a bit tired. Breaking a little heat as well.

How about you?

Post subject: Re: How's your warm-up?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:53 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

good idea for a thread, I've been meaning to ask this for a while.

Lower Body:

-Roll TFL, piriformis, calves (just below knee on the outside), hip flexors
-stretch hip flexors
-light single leg romanian deadlifts (basically just a dynamic hamstring stetch)
-hip thrusts (glute activation)
-cross band walk (more activation)
-bird dogs (core activation)

that usually gets rid of any niggling pain in back, knees etc

Upper Body

-lacrosse ball roll upper back, pecs and rotator cuff (ouch!)
-side lying extension rotations (thanks Kenny, I'm actually ok at these now!)
-thoracic extensions
-prone internal rotations (subscapularis activation TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE SHOULDER PAIN!)
-LYTPs (like YTWLIs but I actually think they're better. Check Nick Tuminello's blog if you're interested)
-band trap raises (these make my shoulder feel creamy smooth)

when I actually start lifting weights I just start light and keep going heavier til I can't hit my target reps no mo. Nothing fancy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:57 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I still squat every workout, so warmup is as follows, with only enough rest between warmup sets to change plates.

Squats
45 x 3x5
85 x 5
135 x 5
175 x 3
225 x 3
265 x 2
315 x 1
Take a 2 minute break, then into my worksets of 3x5. This tends to keep my warm throughout my workout. The only other lift-specific warmup I do is when I bench since I am working heavily on form and wrigning out a nagging shoulder hitch; I'll do 3 sets of 5 with the empty bar, then a set of 3 reps with 135, then get straight to my work sets.

I'll do some mobility work every now and then; usually KB work (turkish get up and swings) or incline walking for a half hour. I usually do this after deadlift days once a week, it seems to help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:45 am 

richardbelly wrote:
Doing some jogging,jumping and squats.After that start muscle stretching and back pain exercises. Then go for push ups,pull ups and thigh exercises.Daily spend 2 hours on muscle building exercises including warm ups.

2 hours, really? Every day? Any rest days? How is it working for you? How long have you been doing this?