ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: swimming vs. running
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:05 am 

had a nice discussion with a friend today. in my opinion swimming does not let your muscles grow after some weeks, cause your body adapts. same with running and the leg muscles. am i right?

Post subject: Re: swimming vs. running
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Neither are meant for muscle building. But it really depends on the method of training. Doing high intensity low distance is more better for muscle growth than long distance steady state. An hour long run wont grow your muscle, adaptation or no adaptation.
Your body doesn't adapt unless you keep doing the same thing over and over. But if you try to improve every time, or mess with the distance and intensity, no adaptation will occur, because there is nothing to adapt to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:18 am 

another thing came to my mind. does swimming increase the t-levels more than running cause more muscles are involved? could it therefore be beneficial to swim the day after a workout day or is the disadvantage of more muscle soreness at swimming in comparison to running bigger than the testosterone effect? or am i talking really bull$h1t?

Last edited by ephs on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 am 

Dub wrote:
Neither are meant for muscle building. But it really depends on the method of training. Doing high intensity low distance is more better for muscle growth than long distance steady state. An hour long run wont grow your muscle, adaptation or no adaptation.
Your body doesn't adapt unless you keep doing the same thing over and over. But if you try to improve every time, or mess with the distance and intensity, no adaptation will occur, because there is nothing to adapt to.

ok, so they could be a muscle growth at sprint training (swimming or running)?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:23 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You are not talking bull$h1t, you just don't seem to understand what we are talking about in here.

It's true, swimming involves more muscle than running. Skiing has the same. Cycling uses only hafl the body on most occasions. But this has nothing to do with testosterone. It just uses more muscle, so it generates more heat (particulary in water, which is a bit chilly always), so it burns more calories. But, testosterone levels go up mainly on maximal aerobic/anaerobic exercises and resistance training. On normal endurance/aerobic training, it's the ratio between cortisol and testosterone that can change around exercising, not the levels of testosterone. It's more likely that it's about the cortisol levels. Endurance training is quite katabolic in my mind. All the happenings around the exercise are more likely to destroy muscle for fuel, rather than preserve it.

Sprint/interval training has an effect on growth hormone levels. On athletes, it has been measured that GH levels are 10 times higher after sprint/interval training. That gives the potential for the muscle to grow, and maintain muscle mass.

However, slower aerobic running or swimming might be beneficial for recovery. Swimming is also good for the beat-up joints some people have. And it uses alot of the upper body muscles in general, so it has a benefit over running. Contrast water treatment also aides recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:54 am 

thanks, now i understand it properly! so, also between workout days you would prefer swimming over running, if your main goal is to get stronger and to get a better stamina?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Depends. If you want to get better on either, do that. Why not both, or alternatively? If you want more upper body activation, for like pecs, shoulders, lats and arms, I would choose swimming. Also it gives the joints a break after some tough loading. I don't like running too much, so I would choose swimming in most occasions anyway. It's just more time taking than lets say going to jog for 30 minutes.

This issue doesn't much consider the goal of getting stronger, only indirectly, as cardio might improve recovery from heavy resistance training.
http://www.ergo-log.com/modest-cardio-s ... overy.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:59 am 

big thx! i think alternating would be great. or maybe always swimming after squat days for example.