ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:46 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

This is a great video by Clint Darden about motivation.

This will especially apply to people who are frustrated, not making progress or struggling to make progress. What you need to know is that you're still making progress!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPyVfKQcvmk

I know Jungledoc can't see youtube so, i'll give a run down. It's about staying motivated in the gym.

-You have to turn a "want" into a "need". There's a big difference between the 2. He gives the example of, "i want steak, but i need food".

-Some people lose their "fire" but, actually, they never had the fire in the first place.

-You won't get that motivation until you have failed. Repeatedly. Until you have failed, you only "want", you don't need. It seems like a good idea to lose weight, get stronger, whatever. But you don't need it. Yet.

-Any successful athlete, strongman, powerlifter, whatever, has went through failure after failure in their training and life.

In other words, failure is a necessary part of the process of achieving your ultimate goals. You NEED to fail, you need to get frustrated, you need to feel like you've ran out of ideas, you need to get angry at yourself, because only then will you truly realise that you NEED to achieve your goals.

It rang home for me because whilst with my training i've hit some respectable numbers, the last few years have been hugely frustrating. Things are looking up now and I realise it's because I don't just want it, I need it.

Before I got my first serious injury, I wanted to "train". At that time I thought since I was injured I should stay off the gym completely until it healed. Didn't know any better. It drove me crazy. Then I realised I don't "want" to train, I NEED to train. So my focus was getting pain free because I knew to keep training, I needed to get pain free.

Through doing this I got hooked on getting strong. I wanted to get strong. Didn't need it. Just wanted to. Then I got another couple of injuries and, funnily enough I have never taken time off for an injury again, it's not even crossed my mind. Time off due to injury REALLY stressed me out in 2006 but thereafter, it was a complete non-issue. Then I realised, after another tear or 2, that I don't just want to get strong, I NEED to get strong. Making a little progress then just getting hurt again was becoming too common so I literally set aside over a year to just make things right - get the car road worthy, so to speak. I've spent the last 2 years fixing an injury and getting my strength BACK, not UP, but back. I gave myself loads of time to get things right, because I NEED to get strong and to get as strong as I need to be, I need to make progress for years. Decades, even. A couple of years of making things right is nothing in comparison to another 15 years of progress. I know when i'm 40 those 2-3 years will seem like 2-3 days.

Whilst i've tried my best to ignore it, I've been really frustrated and angry at myself because I always felt like I had lost years of progress due to all of this. I'm only just lifting weights I lifted 2 YEARS ago. On paper i've went no where in 2 years!

Again, want vs need. I wanted to lift more 2 years ago, I didn't need it. The last 2 years made me NEED it. This means I'll get it.

I realise now that all the frustration, failure, stupidity and anger that i've had the last few years due to my lack of progress was in fact progress. I'm more motivated now than i've ever been. I don't just want to get a lot stronger - i know I will. I am. I've also learned a tonne from all the crap i've had to work around and all the interesting technical challenges coming back from injuries can give you. So i'm armed with better knowledge through this experience to make better progress.

I thought I lost progress and actually i've made more progress than I could have imagined.

Keep on keeping on. You'll know it when you have it. Embrace failure and over come. You will overcome if you just keep trying. Don't let quitting or giving up even enter your thoughts for a second. When you overcome, you will need it and there will be no question. No "if", just "when".

I'm not going from one extreme to another, I know i'll have more obstacles, and more frustration, and more failure. The difference is now I realise failure is as significant to progress as a PR.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:47 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm not sure I would use the same terms, but I think I have something of the want/need thing going.

When I started a couple of years ago, after a couple of weeks i suddenly remembered I had bought a weight set when I was about 14, tried again at 16, 18. I was easily discouraged and distracted back then, but I remembered I had always wanted to lift heavy. I remember being a child before I knew things like what year it was, staring at the screen when somebody had left the tv on and they were doing olymic lifting. There I was, 5 or 6 years old, thinking, "That's for me."

Some keep it simple and just say "the sport picks the athlete."

For my entire life when I looked in the mirror I saw a skinny guy looking back at me. Then I turned 40 and he turned skinny/fat. Now I look in the mirror and say, "hmmm, that guy just might have some potential if he keeps at it." Then i find out they all started out as skinny guys. (For suitable values of "all").

If somebody asked me to choose between my wife and weights, I'd remember how beautiful she is, how classy, what a great cook she is, and then think, "Gosh I'm going to miss her!"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:02 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you've inspired my next thread