ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

Can a vertical push exercise like the Military Press be replaced by the Incline Bench Press (45 degree incline)?

I've heard that any press from 45 degrees or more are considered vertical exercises.

I'm afraid if I do something like Military Press and Bench Press on the same workout, I'll overwork the anterior detls which may effect my posture (imbablance of rear and anterior detls).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:49 pm 

Well there is nothing wrong with doing those two exercises together. You just need to do similar work for your rear delts, that should be covered by 2-3 back exercises.

I think the incline press is very different from the military press but that is just an opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:50 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, even a normal bench press is going to work your front delts, which is what the military press targets. We can't give any good advice unless we know your whole routine. There's plenty of people who do bench presses, incline presses, and shoulder presses and don't experience an imbalance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:52 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD

Well, I agree with Ryan, so I'll just comment on the substitutions. I'm more into overhead pressing, so I use a 60 degree incline with the same grip I would use for the military press. It allows an overload for the military, and has great carry over for overhead work.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

after doing chest, you should not need to do much for front delts. Just a set or 2 of overhead depening on your protocol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:39 pm 
Novice
Novice

So, in a workout, if I did enough benching (to work the anterior delts + chest + tris), I wouldn't need to do any overhead pressing? - unless if I were to work the medial delts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:25 am 

I'm biased, my background is that I started out with the OLifts back in the day, and I think you should do some type of overhead pressing/pushpressing to keep a well balanced routine. Lots of ways to do it. I noticed in one of your posts you set up an A and B schedule with BP on A, Inclines on B.You could alway use BP on A, Military presses on B, and do a couple of sets of DB incline to assist on B if you feel you must.That's just one option of many.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is possible. It depends on the routine. Say you are doing a short full body kind of thing where you just do a couple sets per muscle group. Then you don't really do an anterior or posterior delt exercise. Just lateral delts.

Lets say you do a set of flat bench and a set of incline for chest. Then a set of bent over rows and a set of pulldowns for back. Lateral raises and shrugs are all you need to add to have the whole shoulder area taken care of.

Now if your are doing a little more volume you might want to target them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:46 am 
Novice
Novice

How do front raises compare to the military press? Both target the anterior delts but they're completely different moves it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:24 am 
Novice
Novice

So... here is my Workout B...

This includes Military Press + Incline BP:
I want to put extra emphasis on my chest.
As some of you have seen in my previous posts, My Workout A contains Flat Bench Press, but no overhead work.

Workout B:
- Chin-up / Pull-up (6 sets, 6-8 reps) - 3 sets Chin-up, 3 sets-pull up
- Incline Bench Press (6 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Military Press + Push Press (2 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Power Clean + Front Squat (4 sets, 6-8 reps)
- Deadlift (4 sets, 6-8 reps)

Perhaps I should add a BB Row somewhere in there?

Last edited by kidkurious on Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Front lifts are anterior delt isolation. Military press is compound. It targets anteriors, but also gets lateral delts, triceps and traps to a lesser extent.

If I was going to do lateral delts and upper traps on chest day, I would use military press to target the anterior delts. If I was going to do lateral delts and upper traps on back day, then on chest day I would do front raises to target anterior delts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:46 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kid, I would take the military press out and do 3 sets of either lateral raises or upright rows and 3 sets of shrugs. The barbell bent over row would be in workout A with the flat bench I would think. With a full body plan like that anterior and posterior delts have about the same isolation need as arms. With a higher volume full body, you're probably better off with little to no isolation.

I assume you super set chest and back, and then super set the lower body lifts to save time. You could super set the laterals with the shrugs to save time there too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:54 am 

There is no reason for upright rows or shrugs, he's doing power cleans, which are a combination of both. I'd do the overhead presses with DB's elbows out, palms facing, keeping the weight moderate, and you should be just fine.As to the rows, last I saw, you had them in workout A and were going to alternate on A days between bent rows and what you termed a rear delt row (which looked very similar). Again, I'd stick the PC and Front squat first. Put your DL's right behind the PC front squat thing and just use a couple of sets of 3.
Tim