ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:21 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hello everyone. I'm in my 20s, 6'2 and a soft 185lbs. I would probably be lean if I cardio-ed my way to 170, but frankly that's boring as hell and I want to try weight training. My goal is to put on some muscle and lean up, as well as increase my metabolic rate.

My plan is to read and follow Starting Strength, as it seems really simple and very reputable. I work in a hectic environment on my feet full time, so I'm not sedentary.

As far as diet, I probably have about 5-6 servings (in total) of sugary things or fast food (pizza, fries, etc) a week. I'm going to cut that out, and take it very easy on non-fruit/vegetable carbs. I want to try and eat vegetables, especially heavy greens, at least twice a day. I plan to eat fruit a few times a day, particularly pre and post workout; I'm not going to worry about the sugar in them.

Any tips? anything I'm missing? Thanks for the quality reading so far, and see you all around.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:31 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Monitor your protein intake. For muscle you should eat protein around 1g /lb of bodyweight or thereabouts. So around 150-200g of protein per day.

Do you have any experience on resistance training? Or any other training? Any sports background?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:45 pm 
n00b
n00b

No focused training, just team sports that emphasized fun over athletic improvement.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:02 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Alrigth, I advice you to start light then. Learn form correctly, practice mobility and stability if you are lacking. Quality comes before quantity.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:49 pm 

I'd reverse your diet strategy. Worry less about cutting out the junk, and start with adding the vegetables. You're not in serious need of weight loss, so I'd worry about establishing healthy habits before trying to kick your bad habits. After six months of good lifting progression and eating more vegetables you'll accomplish more than enough with your physique to not have to worry so much about the 'soft' part. It'll also eat up less will power, making it more likely that you'll stick to the new, good habits.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:56 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the advice. I'm a pretty goal-oriented person and can get a bit obsessive, to be honest... I don't think I'll have much trouble kicking the junk.

For me the tough part is finding the time to make fresh veggies and cook balanced meals, since I tend to crowd my schedule. Anyway, I have a target and the means to get there. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully contributing here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 am 

Just order you pizza with more veggies. And more meat.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

KlimtFSU wrote:
For me the tough part is finding the time to make fresh veggies and cook balanced meals, since I tend to crowd my schedule.

What's time consuming about a cheap 1 lb bag of frozen veggies microwaved with some Chili from a few nights ago liberally mixed in?

Or just a plain lb of veggies. I especially like peas & carrots if going plain for that day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:27 pm 

jlmoss wrote:
KlimtFSU wrote:
For me the tough part is finding the time to make fresh veggies and cook balanced meals, since I tend to crowd my schedule.

What's time consuming about a cheap 1 lb bag of frozen veggies microwaved with some Chili from a few nights ago liberally mixed in?

Or just a plain lb of veggies. I especially like peas & carrots if going plain for that day.

I wouldn't be eating vegetables if it wasn't for the convenience of frozen bags of veggies. And I was a vegetarian for nearly a decade :o

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:36 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

especially the variety you can keep without having to eat them all before parishing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:51 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

veggies are easy, you can just chop them up small and put them in anything.

whenever someone says they struggle to eat veggies I always just think that they must suck at cooking