ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:48 am 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:49 am
Posts: 3474
robt-aus wrote:
Ah, in that case, it's a four - i do fail toes forward full squats, as without warmup my ankles are not flexible enough to allow a barefoot deep squat movement. I can perform the full squat without a hitch, it's just that my heels lift from the floor. lucky me.

would a bit of salsa dancing help fix the old internal rotation deficit?


It can be ankles, too. Although ankles vs hips can become like a chicken and egg argument. However with toes out you get a little more wiggle room with the ankles because you can allow your feet to cave in and flatten and take ROM that way. The point is really, if you can deep squat toes out but not toes straight forward, then you should look a little deeper and see what's going on (there may not be anything worth talking about going on, but it's a reason to look into it more) - this in in a nutshell is why I became more engrossed in the FMS. There's loads off assessments you can do on a client. You could spend the first few sessions doing assessments. So having a starting point and also a "road map" of sorts, especially for an over-thinker like me, is very valuable.

The hip internal rotation deficit was just an example of one of the things failing "toes forward" could lead to exposing.

KPj

_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:45 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7496
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
robt-aus wrote:
4 if i'm to follow the criteria, but I think 'parallel feet', if it's what I think it could mean (toes forward) during a full overhead squat is a a touch dangerous, so I'm actually a 5.

I, for one, welcome our minature KPj implants. nearly as useful as the dixie flatline.

I don't see how it is even a "touch dangerous". This is unweighted.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:23 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:07 am
Posts: 852
Location: Sydney, Australia
Jungledoc wrote:
robt-aus wrote:
4 if i'm to follow the criteria, but I think 'parallel feet', if it's what I think it could mean (toes forward) during a full overhead squat is a a touch dangerous, so I'm actually a 5.

I, for one, welcome our minature KPj implants. nearly as useful as the dixie flatline.

I don't see how it is even a "touch dangerous". This is unweighted.


i fall backwards when my achilles aren't warm enough to handle the crouch if I don't go up onto my toes. my doorframes are hard, and I am soft.

after a warmup, it's a different story.

edit: by=my


Last edited by robt-aus on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:30 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:07 am
Posts: 852
Location: Sydney, Australia
KPj wrote:
robt-aus wrote:
Ah, in that case, it's a four - i do fail toes forward full squats, as without warmup my ankles are not flexible enough to allow a barefoot deep squat movement. I can perform the full squat without a hitch, it's just that my heels lift from the floor. lucky me.

would a bit of salsa dancing help fix the old internal rotation deficit?


It can be ankles, too. Although ankles vs hips can become like a chicken and egg argument. However with toes out you get a little more wiggle room with the ankles because you can allow your feet to cave in and flatten and take ROM that way. The point is really, if you can deep squat toes out but not toes straight forward, then you should look a little deeper and see what's going on (there may not be anything worth talking about going on, but it's a reason to look into it more) - this in in a nutshell is why I became more engrossed in the FMS. There's loads off assessments you can do on a client. You could spend the first few sessions doing assessments. So having a starting point and also a "road map" of sorts, especially for an over-thinker like me, is very valuable.

The hip internal rotation deficit was just an example of one of the things failing "toes forward" could lead to exposing.

KPj


i'm probably at "deceive myself into thinking it's my ankles".

i did a overheat squat cycle last year and between my feet and my then-very-limited shoulders, i was very happy to work up to 20kg. i still haven't worked with a trainer or had anyone run a FMS. i'd hope after all my practice i'd be able to do ok.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:46 pm 
Offline
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 pm
Posts: 1349
Location: New York, USA
robt-aus wrote:
i'm probably at "deceive myself into thinking it's my ankles".

i did a overheat squat cycle last year and between my feet and my then-very-limited shoulders, i was very happy to work up to 20kg. i still haven't worked with a trainer or had anyone run a FMS. i'd hope after all my practice i'd be able to do ok.


I had not gotten so specific with my self-deception. I'm into the more general "I'll feel young again someday, and with kids being teenagers now this is as good a way to pass the time as any."

You said it with the overhead squats. They do crazy things to your shoulders, but I like it, and I'm busting out like crazy doing 25kg, so catch me if you can! :smile:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group