ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cardinal Sin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:46 am 
Novice
Novice

Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted, but here it goes. I've committed a cardinal sin, but let me explain myself. I now train on a modified Soloflex!! Now before anyone yells out "stone him!" hear me out. The reason why I got a Soloflex is because I wanted something that was space efficient for where I live, versatile, and I like the look of the machine. I've read several different articles on how Soloflex is junk and that you can't build strength on it. Well we'll see. I ran a bar through the Floating Lever Arm so that I can add freeweights to the bar. It now works as a leverage machine and I feel safe when i work out with it. I have a theory that I'm testing. I believe that I can increase muscle mass by training smart and hard on this machine. Is this machine shunned like the smith-machine? Is there anyone else in here who has done this?

Post subject: Re: Cardinal Sin
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:01 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

leanmuscle13 wrote:
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I've posted, but here it goes. I've committed a cardinal sin, but let me explain myself. I now train on a modified Soloflex!! Now before anyone yells out "stone him!" hear me out. The reason why I got a Soloflex is because I wanted something that was space efficient for where I live, versatile, and I like the look of the machine. I've read several different articles on how Soloflex is junk and that you can't build strength on it. Well we'll see. I ran a bar through the Floating Lever Arm so that I can add freeweights to the bar. It now works as a leverage machine and I feel safe when i work out with it. I have a theory that I'm testing. I believe that I can increase muscle mass by training smart and hard on this machine. Is this machine shunned like the smith-machine? Is there anyone else in here who has done this?

Soloflex

Like the Bowflex Gym, the concept of using resistance band is an effective method.

With that said, resistance bands basically the same results.

Junk

While the concept is good, the quality of Soloflex and Bowflex are not.

The quality isn't there.

However, if it works for you and you like it...that all that matters.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks Mr. Croxdale. I really want to see where this can go. Please note that I'm using primarily Weight plates on the machine and the bands are used as a secondary means of resistance. I'll keep you guys posted as this is something in depth that I'm going to undertake. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:45 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

leanmuscle13 wrote:
Thanks Mr. Croxdale. I really want to see where this can go. Please note that I'm using primarily Weight plates on the machine and the bands are used as a secondary means of resistance. I'll keep you guys posted as this is something in depth that I'm going to undertake. Thanks again.

Accommodating Resistance

Attaching Resistance band to a weighed bar has been around for a while.

As a Powerlifter, I've use this method since 1997.

It allows you to overload the muscle through a greater range of the movement with...

Ascending Strength Curve Exercises

These are exercises such as: Squats, Pressing Movements, Deadlifts, Leg Press, etc.

With these exercises the resistance is harder in the bottom part of the movement and become easier the higher you move the bar.

Thus, by adding band to the bar, you are able to provide more overload through a greater range of the exercise.

Band don't work for...

Descending Strength Curve Exercises

Lat Pulldowns, Bent Over Rows, Upright Rows, etc

Nor do band work for...

Bell-Shaped Strength Curve Exercises

Triceps Pushdowns, Curls, etc.

Take Home Message For Accommodating Resistance

1) Works ONLY for Ascending Strength Curve Exercises.

2) Does NOT work for Descending or Bell-Shaped Strength Curve Exericises.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:57 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks again! The knowledge on this forum is priceless. I will post my progress, I'm entertaining the idea of starting a journal, but at times I lack consistency. Thank you for responding to my posting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:20 am 
n00b
n00b

Kenny Croxdale wrote:
leanmuscle13 wrote:
However, if it works for you and you like it...that all that matters.

This sums it up. Any routine that you can do consistently is going to be more effective than a routine that you give up on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:49 am 
Novice
Novice

Thank You Eatbig!! I'm training!