ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:57 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hi I would be eternally grateful if anyone could give any kind of feedback on my current regime and form particularly for cleans.

I gym during weekdays (5 days) as follows:
Squat *
Abs
Bench -
Pull ups
Upward row *
Press *
Power Clean -
Press -
Front Squat
Calf raise
Pull ups
Bi-/Tri- cep cable curls

*=heavy and -=light, press is military and 'pull ups' are one armed assisted.

My goals are to look good, be strong, and be athletic. I realise a real hybrid but I want to look at every man I meet and think I am stronger, better, and more naturally built than them. I also cardio everyday by cycling about 40mins total as a commute. I need to loose a bit of weight (the cyclig commute has recently been added to cut) and my diet is clean (no $h1t) but not low in carbs. I live in Hongkong so avoiding noodles and rice is hard and with my work I can't sacrifice mental awareness too much by going ketosis etc.

My general tactic is to do 5x5 but squats DL and PC I do less of the heaviest weight. To do one set of five my Max is 200, 145, 90 kg for the PLs and maximum PC is 85 kg but struggle to unload since the equipment doesn't exist in my gym and it hurts to drop that weight down. AB work is weighted inclined sit ups with 30kg dB at my shoulders. 2x20

I already spend almost the maximum time in the gym, but feel like most of my muscles are hit. A full one arm pull up would be fantastic but I weight 88kg so its tough. Would like to be <83kg. I'm already quite strong (in Hongkong) but getting stronger and lower bf is my goal. Lower bf is higher goal than stronger, and squats/DL count for more than bench press. No power rack at uni gym so can't really bench heavy anyway.

YouTube form vids:
/TsDC9mEFpQc powerclean + front squat
/_lSNuN7IBAw deadlift

I'd say I struggle to get big legs (vascular and defined they are not) while my back is trained most in my schedule. How to get vascular legs? I can make my upper body look reasonable minus slightly poor abs but my legs just don't look huge. I practise on all the stairs i take by only using quads like a squat (lots of stairs each day) but no difference and they aren't fat...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:11 am 
n00b
n00b

Hey hope you are doing well,

A couple things I would mention with the order in which you do your exercises. When it comes to exercises such as cleans, squats, bench press, they all have a order that is preferred for training. Any type of power movement (cleans, jerks, snatch) should be what you start the day with. Power movements trump everything in order of execution. Next would be your structural lifts (deadlifts, squats, etc.) You know they are structural lifts if they load the trunk of the body a.k.a. like a squat. From there you have non-structural lifts (bench press, etc.) Then lastly you add the exercises like arms and things of that nature. This is the order in which a strength coach would have you go. Now as far as your goals I am a little confused. With that being said I'll just give you some rep ranges and percentages that correlate with particular goals.

Power (speed+strength)
- If this is your focus than your rep range is going to be in between 1-6 depending on the percentage of your max you're working with (if you're at max you're only doing 1 rep). The best way to work on these movements is through percentages say starting out the first week working from 65%-70% or 75% then the next week 70% - 75% or 80%, and so on and so forth until your last week in the cycle where you are testing out for new maxes that you'll use when you go back through. I can't see your form due to link not working for me but power movements are explosive. These movements are in the legs driving the weight up and the bar should be always close to the body (are some notes)

Strength
-This rep range is going to be the same as power. The only difference is that these are not explosive movements (you may feel like a squat can be explosive but unless you left the ground in a jump with it, it is not). Same thing with percentages and progression. Just going in and lifting the heaviest thing you can as much as you can is only going to get you so far and ultimately you'll hit a wall.
p.s. percentages are only on things like bench, squat, deadlift, not arms, etc.

Hypertrophy (that middle ground between strength and endurance that body builders usually work when they want peak muscle development)
-This rep range is going to be between 6-12 reps. If you want a good balance of strength and hypertrophy stay near the bottom of the range, and vice versa for muscular endurance. Would work in lower percentages that fit what can be handled at those reps.

Muscular endurance
-Rep range is 12-20 (maybe a little over). Would work in lower percentages that fit what can be handled at those reps.

Now for getting that heart rate up to burn a little extra fat here are some notes:
-As always cardiovascular training (swimming, jogging, etc.)
-In training you can do supersets (going between two different exercises back and forth that hit different muscle groups). Compound sets (going between two different exercises back and forth that hit the same muscle groups). Then there are always circuits.

I know I have just thrown a lot of information at you, but hopefully you find it helpful in working towards your goals. If you want, or need any further explanation on anything by all means let me know. Tried to look at form but link wasn't working for me sorry.

Sincerely,

Bachelor's of Science in Health and Fitness
NASM Certified Personal Trainer
ACSM Affiliated

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:24 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I`d rather advise to pick an existing program than trying to do your own programming.

"Canditos Linear Program" an Upper/Lower-Split with three possible templates to use (one of them being Strength/Power where you can focus on explosive movements) or 5/3/1 would be better choices than what you wrote down.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:49 am 
n00b
n00b

Crow wrote:
I`d rather advise to pick an existing program than trying to do your own programming.

"Canditos Linear Program" an Upper/Lower-Split with three possible templates to use (one of them being Strength/Power where you can focus on explosive movements) or 5/3/1 would be better choices than what you wrote down.

Sorry this has taken me so long to thankyou for. I haven't seen this programme before and I think I am going to give it a go since it seems to be pretty varied and geared towards what I think I can manage in a week and also fairly flexible as to what my goals are. Thanks very much!

Back to it last week after a two week Christmas break... So feeling like a need a motivational boost a new programme (where my negative progress isn't so obvious) is probably perfect!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:15 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mike wrote:
Crow wrote:

Sorry this has taken me so long to thankyou for. I haven't seen this programme before and I think I am going to give it a go since it seems to be pretty varied and geared towards what I think I can manage in a week and also fairly flexible as to what my goals are. Thanks very much!

Back to it last week after a two week Christmas break... So feeling like a need a motivational boost a new programme (where my negative progress isn't so obvious) is probably perfect!

I`m glad I could help.

Even though I didn`t train after that plan myself (I did 5/3/1 after starting with a simple 3x5 linear progression plan), I like the setup with these templates because they would allow you to emphasize certain aspects in training.
Rotating the templates (hypertrophy, strength, power and again hypertrophy) would already follow the simple periodization models
like written here: http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Periodization.html

You could train the templates in blocks of 6 to 12 weeks and even throw in his 6-week-strength programme for another variation.

Good Luck with your training.