ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:24 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Hi folks.

Now that I've got my diet in lock-step, I have been thinking about setting a performance goal for myself for the end of the year of doing 200 consecutive back-to-back TGU's with a 16kg KB (that's 100/side).

Here was what I was planning on doing for a program. Looking for advice(s). I was figuring on an XABXABX setup. I think I am going to work in some conditioning since I figure 200 TGU's is about 1 3/4 hours of nonstop work when done slowly and in complete control.

Workout A:
Power Clean into Front Squat (5x3, heavy as can be, increment linearly as long as possible)

Workout B:
Turkish Getup (start @ 10/side, add one TGU per side per workout until stall)
Chins

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:34 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

looks like hotsecks to me. Reeks of Dan John.

I'd add some kind of press though. Barbell inclines in workout A

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

seems boring for a whole yr
TGUs are pretty awesome though

realistically, would you stick with that?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:51 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

That's very close to Dan John, as Robert said. I think he uses KB Swings with those get-ups as well. That's one bloody crazy goal to reach. Is there a reason for this weirdness? You can get better on TGU's even if you do other stuff as well. Is there a reason for such limited workouts? It will work, but this seems like it's for a person that has NO time to workout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Dub wrote:
That's very close to Dan John, as Robert said. I think he uses KB Swings with those get-ups as well. That's one bloody crazy goal to reach. Is there a reason for this weirdness? You can get better on TGU's even if you do other stuff as well. Is there a reason for such limited workouts? It will work, but this seems like it's for a person that has NO time to workout

I wanted to choose exercises that will develop areas of my physical well being that I have neglected over the last couple years - specifically, general athleticism, explosive power, flexibility, and mind/body connection. I also wanted exercises that address my anatomical weak spots; thoracic mobility, cardiovascular capacity, and shoulder health.

Also, as you read again and again, form follows function. I am just a little bit curious what an incarnation of me that could do 200 consecutive TGU's would look like. I'm hoping to be a bit more "bulletproof" and to undo some of the damage that my long-time sedentary lifestyle has caused.

I can't image that a me that can do 200 TGUs would be anything other than significantly more awesome that the me that is right now. And I don't mind being labeled bloody crazy, either...it takes a little bloody-mindedness to accomplish great things.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:34 pm 

I used TGUs are a rehab for my shoulder and as a core stability exercise. I've never tried high volume work. I don't see the value in it. Once I started going over 70# it really started to work my shoulder stability and core strength. I got up to 95 on one side, 100 on the other. To put it in perspective, that about equal to my two hand military press. I really think that unless you explore your strength limit, you are not getting the full value out of the TGU.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley