ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:28 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

hey guys.
after a long post here on this post, with the help of some of you amazing people i've reached this routine:

A
Barbell Deadlift
Dumbbell Lunge
Barbell military press
Pullup
chest dip
(crunches)

B
Barbell Full Squat
Cable Bent-over Leg Curl
Barbell Bench Press
Cable Straight Back Seated Row
Facepulls.
(crunches)

its important to mention that i JUST STARTED TODAY (after 3 years stop) and this is
the plan to build muscle mass after i spend 3-4 weeks getting my body used to the gym.

anyway,
the most important thing people told me here is that 9-8 exercises per workout is a-LOT. and i understand that, it makes sense.

now as i got to the gym the instructed gave me 11 ex's. all around body (with machines) just
to get the body used to the workout, but as i said to him: "when we get to the hypertrophy, and the AB workout, ill have less exercises per workout right?"

and he said "NO! we'll actually have way more because ull need 3 ex's per muscle group"

>.< is he crazy? or just doesn't know what he is doing?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:43 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

so the instructor didn't like the workout I gave you eh? The horror!

The instructor's advice is terrible. The first thing that should ring alarm bells is he suggested a routine consisting entirely of machines. Now, I'm not saying machines are bad per se, they can be a valuable tool if used correctly, but for a beginner, your time would be much better spent learning good technique on the classic, barbell/dumbell lifts. There's no machine that can give you the training effect that a barbell squat can. Not even close.

The fact he's trying to get you to use just machines makes me think that either:

A - he thinks machines are superior and that you don't need free weights
or
B - he is not confident in his ability to teach you the barbell/dumbell lifts, so he has you using machines.

In either case, this is not a trainer I would use or trust. If you did decide to do a routine using just machines, you would not even need a trainer anyway, as machines are not hard to use.

As for him saying "to get the body used to the workout," that's just terrible. Your body will get used to free weights just fine. I'm not sure what he's even trying to say with that one. Very odd. Your body does not need a special starting off workout to get used to the gym, just go straight into the workout you'd planned.

As for needing 3 exercises per muscle group, well classical bodybuilder thinking is that you should do 3 -5 sets of 3 -5 exercises per muscle group, which your AB workout plan more than satisfies, so there's no problem with that either.

I think you should get a different trainer, or at the very least tell him you want to do the routine you've posted. If you're paying him, then he should listen to you. If you're not paying him and he's just some guy at the gym then I would just politely refuse his help and say you like doing it the way you're doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:43 am 
Rookie
Rookie

this guy was the "on-shift" trainer in the gym, in that gym there is always 1 male and 1 female trainer present to help the guys and the girls.

he DOES look like a body builder, and the fact that 3 secs after we were introduced he told me he has the best prices on supplements kind of
rang my bells the wrong way - after that point everything he said i wasn't so sure of to be honest.

so this isn't a person im paying, but im glad i wasn't wrong with my instincts =)

ty!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 am 

I think a lot of trainers steer people toward machines out of pure laziness. It makes their job easier.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:47 am 

We recently had a national level competing bodybuilder start as a PT in the gym. I was genuinely excited to work with him. The guy trains really hard, lives and breathes bodybuilding, is heyoooge, stays freaky lean even in the off season.

After 4-5 months he's leaving, can't get any business. 2 of his clients have came to me so far, both female, both beginner fatloss clients, and both were given "arm days" among other things. One of them i couldn't even screen her shoulders a whole week after her arm day because she could hardly move them. Not just an arm day but, tempo training, forced reps, drop sets, the lot.

I don't understand it.

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

KPj wrote:
We recently had a national level competing bodybuilder start as a PT in the gym. I was genuinely excited to work with him. The guy trains really hard, lives and breathes bodybuilding, is heyoooge, stays freaky lean even in the off season.

After 4-5 months he's leaving, can't get any business. 2 of his clients have came to me so far, both female, both beginner fatloss clients, and both were given "arm days" among other things. One of them i couldn't even screen her shoulders a whole week after her arm day because she could hardly move them. Not just an arm day but, tempo training, forced reps, drop sets, the lot.

I don't understand it.

KPj

There's an old joke, those that can't do, teach.

It's not funny and its not true. Teaching is a very specific skill. Some people are genetically gifted to teach as surely as Arnold is to build muscle.

Sounds like the guy was not a teacher. They're harder to find than most people think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

KPj wrote:
I don't understand it.

Tony Gentilcore just wrote about this in the topic of what kind of mistakes he made when he started:
Quote:
"3. Training People the Way I Wanted to Train Them (Emphasis On “I”)
If someone is paying you good money as their trainer, you have to realize it’s a bit of give and take. On one end you’re the trainer, the expert, the guy (or girl) who knows WTF they’re talking about. It’s your job to dictate to your clients what they need to do, not necessarily what they want to do given their goals, health history, and ability level.

Powerlifters like to train people like powerlifters. Bodybuilders like bodybuilders. Jedis like Jedis. So on and so forth. And that’s okay. In my younger years I used to gravitate towards telling people that they have to get strong, they have to squat, and that they have to avoid body part splits at all costs."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:46 am 
Rookie
Rookie

quick question - asking here not to open a new topic.

first workout was Wednesday - now is 2 days later so i was supposed to go to the gym today.

im still plenty sore in my muscles, should i go anyway? or wait an extra day till tomorrow and than go when im less/not sore?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:02 am 

you can still go, training sore muscles is fine. Usually by the time you've done a couple of warm up sets the soreness will have gone. However, if you are so sore that you think it would impact your workout, then leave it another day.