ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:49 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So I've been doing clams every day for a couple of weeks, and am happy to report that everything is different and maybe a little bit fixed.

The pain in right hip flexor on squat warmups is gradually lessening. It was less last week but still kind of bad, and it was a lot less yesterday.

The noticeable cave of left knee on heavy squats was gone. I finally did what I've known I could do for awhile but was afraid to try: a double at 300.

The bad news was farmers walks. I went out after the squats and when I picked up the bars and took a it was like the upper left thigh, inside and out, front and back, was hard as rock and could not take normal strides (well, normal for farmers walks). This was unexpected, i really cannot see how a heavy squat double would fry you so bad you can't do FW's, that would make no sense to me.

As I mentioned in my first post, I expect to try quite a few things before it is all nailed down. The Clams have changed the situation but we ain't out of the woods. Any and all suggestions are very welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've got a couple.

A recent change in my thinking - Breaking the floor apart isn't a good cue. "screw the floor apart" or "dial the floor apart" works much better.

If you were looking down at your right foot in the beginning of a squat, think of gripping the floor and screwing/rotating your foot clockwise. Obviously, the left would be anti clock wise. And, your feet don't actually move, it's an intent. Rather than trying to just abduct the hip (break the floor), you're also trying to externally rotate the hip at the same time, if you screw apart rather than break apart.

If you do this just standing with no bar, grip the floor and dial it out, your glutes will be ready for war.

Also, consider playing around with your stance width and toeing out. Play with the toes-out first. Also, seems kinda obvious but it's kinda common - make sure your feet are symmetrical. A lot of people rotate one foot out more than the other. One of the issues with my own squat is I wasn't pointing my toes out enough. That one tweak has completely changed the lift. I thought I toed out more than I actually did.

Other than that, single leg deadlifts. Just because they fix or at least contribute to fixing pretty much everything....

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Final follow-up (hopefully).

First question when an appliance is not working: is it plugged in? Sometimes it's not plugged in. Some people feel stupid, others relieved, but at least the problem is solved.

For aches and pains I think the first question should be, are you foam rolling? hard? Everywhere it hurts until it doesn't hurt anymore?

Though I much prefer my caster to a foam roller, you can spot-brutalize wherever you need. Found a monster landmine knot on the left side (landmine= blows up when you touch it), lots of general achiness all over the left quads. Problem went away, or at least dropped to a radically improved baseline.