ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:08 am 
former lurker

I am currently on my new venture to lose weight. I was wondering, as far as losing weight, what would be the best type of routine. Either or, or perhaps both, I want to try something i haven't tried before. Currently I am doing some cardio at least a half hour per day. I am trying to diet, which is the only set back right now because I know I can be eating better. I am 5'9'' and weigh 200 pounds. I have been sedentary for almost a year now, but i have done training in the past. I am 27 and I am trying to make a personal goal to lose as much weight as I can by June. When I was enlisted in the army I was at a good 185 with about 15% body fat. This is what i would like to make my goal by June.
Commitment is the first step. I was hoping for some opinions or advice on this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well I'm no expert but I can ask you a question: do you want to "lose weight" or lose fat? For reasons of overall health or to look good or both?

Because with weights you can look good and get healthy and lose fat, but the number on the scale will go up. But you won't care :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:36 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Weight training + High intensity Interval cardio works best.
Steady state cardio has a very questionable role on fat loss these days. Just increase slow-state activity with walking and cycling and such, no need for some hour long fun-runs.

Of course, none of this is important before you get your eating habits in order.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:44 am 

You can get to 185 easy enough. Simply cut calories dramatically and the weight will go. You will also lose some muscle, just a couple of pounds but it adds up. Most of the rest will be water weight and a few pounds of fat. Shortly after you reach you goal, you will slack off and within a few months, you will be heavier than you are now with less muscle and more fat.

My 4 step process:

1. Learn how to eat healthily. Learn the difference between healthy food and crap food.

2. Increase your general activity level. If you sit all day, get up and move around once an hour. Spend at least an hour a day doing some type of activity you enjoy.

3. Start a whole body strength training program. Focus on mobility and stability, then strength, size if it's what you're interested in.

4. Incorporate some high intensity cardio training 2 or 3 times a week. Start at a moderate level and make this progressively more challenging.

That's it. 4 steps, in that order and do it the rest of your life.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:49 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Focus on your diet first. All the exercise in the world won't do jack squat for you if your diet is trash. Look at powerlifters and marathoners. Powerlifters are often quite fat in the heavyweight divisions, and marathon runners are "skinny fat," that is they are scrawny but flabby. Obviously this is a generalization, but you see how with both extremes you don't have particularly nice body compositions, so diet really does have the majority to do with your body composition.

I totally agree with stuward, get your diet right first. It's critical. I've found the "warrior diet" by Ori Hofmekler to be phenomenal FOR ME. I am bringing it up because it has thus far worked superbly for me, and I love it, but each person is different. I dropped from 195lb to 175lb in about 3 months, and love how I look. I'm 5' 11" Your mileage may very. The warrior diet is a complete system, which helps a lot. I don't do his exercises though.

Now on a technical level heavy compound barbell exercises elevate your metabolism for as much as 24 hours which burns a lot of calories, and boosts your anabolic hormone levels which burns fat and builds muscle. Interval training comprised of all out movements for 30 seconds with 1.5 minutes rest in between for a total of 10-15 minutes (if you can last that long initially) burns far more fat, and is far more effective at changing body composition because of the hormone response. Then walk as often as you can. Walking does wonders for body and mind.

Lastly, get the xenoestrogens out of your life as much as you can. It's impossible to get rid of all of them, but reduce and detox. This will improve your hormone function and improve your bodies response to your diet changes and exercise selections.