ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:55 am 
n00b
n00b

Hello!

Today I am in a good mood and for some reason I decided I want some more muscles in my arms and maybe even a six pack. I'm 18 years old and I'm not fat at all. I only want to train inside the house, because the gym is too expensive. I can use 10 kilo weights, and a "pull-up" stick. Besides that I can, of course, do all kinds of excercises such as pushups and stuff. The only thing I can't really do is sit-ups. They make me sick for some reason. After 20 sit-ups I feel really sick, like I need to puke... So I won't do those unless someone knows how to solve my problem. Can anyone make something like a training schedule. I'm willing to train every day, but I'd rather not train too long each day. I'm probably not gonna be able to do it if it's moe than 15 minutes a day.

I know six packs don't come within weeks or months, but I'm willing to train for it!

I hope someone can help me out.
All help is appreciated!!
-Knul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:44 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

"but I'm willing to train for it!"

I find this hard to believe.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:52 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
"but I'm willing to train for it!"

I find this hard to believe.

...? what o.o? I wouldn't have posted this is I didn't want to train right..? I don't really get why you don't believe I'm not willing to train for it...
I could rather use answers that would actually help me out instead of people saying they don't believe me...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:36 pm 

Every second comment you made is a limitation on what you can do. Then you want someone to tell you what you can do. That's doesn't sound like your committed to making the effort required to actually get in shape.

We have a group of exercise programs here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3817

Pick one that suits you. Some of the links may be old. You should train your whole body, not just a couple of prominent parts.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:39 pm 

if all you care about is arms and abs, with the equipment you've got you could do chin ups, curls, extensions and push ups. You can do those every day.

Really though if you want to build an appreciable amount of muscle you'll need more equipment than you have, particularly a barbell and some heavier dumbells.

And I think Stu's comment probably relates to this:

Knul wrote:
I'm probably not gonna be able to do it if it's moe than 15 minutes a day.

you'll not add any muscle training 15 mins a day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:25 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

So here's the deal:

Knul wrote:
Hello!

Today I am in a good mood and for some reason I decided I want some more muscles in my arms and maybe even a six pack.

That's great. Congratulations on getting started so young. You are starting exactly where I started (though I was almost 30 years older) with what we call the "mirror workout". You want to improve what you can see in the mirror: abs, biceps and I suppose chest.

There's nothing wrong with that.

For biceps: do as many curls as you can with whatever weight you have, going well into the burn. Take a short rest, 60 seconds, and do it again, another 60 second rest, and do it again. Each time you do this make the rest shorter.

For a six pack look up an exercise called "planks."

Knul wrote:
I'm 18 years old and I'm not fat at all. I only want to train inside the house, because the gym is too expensive. I can use 10 kilo weights, and a "pull-up" stick.

How many pullups can you do? Those will improve your overall look quite well, and you can do them every day.

Knul wrote:
Besides that I can, of course, do all kinds of excercises such as pushups and stuff.

Can you do handstand pushups? Those will make your shoulders big. You see, a six pack looks good on the beach, but wide shoulders cannot be disguised in a shirt, with wide shoulders you look good with or without a shirt.

Seriously, 10 kilos is not much, but you can press them overhead as well to work on the shoulders.

Knul wrote:
The only thing I can't really do is sit-ups. They make me sick for some reason. After 20 sit-ups I feel really sick, like I need to puke...

Don't sweat it. Sit-ups have become very unpopular, look at planks.

Knul wrote:
So I won't do those unless someone knows how to solve my problem.

You don't have a problem.

Knul wrote:
Can anyone make something like a training schedule.

Well now this might be why you got such a negative reaction from Stu and Bob. Generally us old farts like to see the young guys put in a little friggin' effort before they say, "do this for me." The statement above invites responses like, "You want us to do the exercises for you?" That's cuz we're crusty old farts. But why not just try this:

1) As many pull ups as you can, overhand grip
2) As many pushups as you can, conventional style
3) Rest 3 minutes and repeat 1 and 2
4) Rest 3 minutes and repeat 1 and 2

Knul wrote:
I'm willing to train every day, but I'd rather not train too long each day. I'm probably not gonna be able to do it if it's moe than 15 minutes a day.

Um, longer than 15 minutes and you're "not gonna be able" like do you have a disease? Are these doctor's orders? That statement makes you sound like a lazy bastard which again triggers the crotchety old fart reaction where we want to tell you to come back when you're serious.

But then you say you are willing to do it every day. What about every other day for 30 minutes? Can you explain this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:47 am 

I didn't think my response was negative...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:52 am 

robertscott wrote:
I didn't think my response was negative...

And you're not old enough to be crusty yet.

I was definatly negative and crusty and have no where near Ken's patience.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:17 pm 

this program from the list stuward posted would fit you quite well: http://www.simplefit.org/

this should not take more than 30 minutes per workout day and it will optimize your strength, look and fitness. just climb up the levels of the program and tell us how it works.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 pm 

If you're so committed to training, why haven't you been training already?

I agree with Stu. You may think you're committed, but I don't think you have any idea what is involved.

Pick a program. Do it consistently for a month. Tell us how it's working. We'll help you improve the program.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:18 pm 
n00b
n00b

@KenDowns Wow thanks a lot for the response, that was exactly what I was looking for. You seem to be the only good person here willing to actually help people. I almost gave up on the whole forum because of the other negative useless comments. I can do 30 minutes every day. It's just that I don't have a lot of time due to many personal reasons, it's not that I'm too lazy to do more. What's better? Doing excercises every day or every other day 30 minutes? And why would that be better?

For all the other people here saying I'm lazy and stuff... I thought this was a forum for people who needed help on workouts and stuff... So I asked for a schedule. I really don't see why everyone is giving my so much hate... It's not nice and I do not appreciate that. If you want to post negative comments please don't respond at all. I'm just here because I want to train my body, and if you think you know me better and want to make weird comments like "I don't think you want it" please just go to another post because that just doesn't make any sense.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:39 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
I was definatly negative and crusty and have no where near Ken's patience.

at least I read yours, if that helps you feel better

No but really, you've been helping for years. At some point we have to be honest that the info is out there and the effort comes from within. I keep telling myself.

let roberts, ken and dub take the reigns for awhile, you deserve to rest

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:42 pm 

C'mon guys. This aint a f-ing elitest site.

Sorry Knul.

The only thing I'd suggest you add, if you can, is some sort of leg work. Try jumping. Grab something heavy and overhead squat or something.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Knul wrote:
I can do 30 minutes every day. It's just that I don't have a lot of time due to many personal reasons, it's not that I'm too lazy to do more. What's better? Doing excercises every day or every other day 30 minutes?

To look good you have to get strong. To get strong you have to exert yourself. But you don't get strong during the exertion, you get strong when you are recovering from the exertion: so you eat good food and get sleep. If the weights are heavy enough or the exercise is stressful enough, you may not be able to do it again the next day.

Try and find out. If you can regularly do the same workout every day, it's not doing anything for you because it's too easy.

The most important thing to do as a beginner is begin. We've given you several possible workouts that can be done in 15-30 minutes. Pick one, any one, try it for a week or two and let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 am 

Come on. No one gave you any hate, and no one said you are lazy. And no one was being elitist. I'm sorry if that's the way it came across, but people were just being a little tough with you. It sure sounded like you jumped in here without doing much research on your own, and expected us to just tell you what to do. That's pretty guaranteed to get a negative reaction from any forum you might jump into.

So, yeah, Ken is a great guy. But the rest of us ain't creeps--we'd just like to see you do a bit more for yourself. So start doing a little study for yourself, then ask us questions about things that aren't clear to you--we'll be glad to help.

And most people feel that an hour workout 3 times a week is a good place to start.