ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:45 pm 

Here is an article from ASCM's Health & Fitness Journal:

http://journals.lww.com/acsm-healthfitness/Fulltext/2013/05000/HIGH_INTENSITY_CIRCUIT_TRAINING_USING_BODY_WEIGHT_.5.aspx

Here is a NY Times blog that summarizes part of it:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/09/the-scientific-7-minute-workout/

I like that they have included good lower-body work. It occurs that some loading could be added at some point with DBs, rocks, gallon jugs, etc. Chins could be easily included. I'd like to see some sort of overhead press. Maybe add that once a person is ready for DBs or rocks.

So, when we get questions like "I want to get more fit, but I can't afford a gym membership and I don't have equipment", this is one more bit of information that takes away excuses.

Now, what can I do with MY excuses?

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:19 pm 

I actually printed off the chart for that workout the other day and plan to try it this weekend. I'll see if I can get my som to do it with me. One weak old guy and one strong young bull, and see if it makes a difference.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:38 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

this is just another attempt by Andy to push his pro-rock agenda

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:37 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, that sort of thing works very well. I haven't done it with those exact exercises, but have used the same technique. When I first got into fitness I was doing "8 Minutes in the Morning" by Jorge Cruise. I changed it to 12 minutes in the morning though, which really took closer to 15, in order to only be doing it Mon-Thu, then I had Friday and Sunday off, which allowed me to do a heavy full body day at the gym on Saturday.

This thing is formatted in such a way that you could do it after your weight workouts, or for beginners it might be all they need in the short term for modest goals.

I've seen people doing something like this for 40 minute sessions in a "boot camp" type program. It works well, but requires time off every so often as the volume becomes taxing. Diets are kind of like that too though; your metabolism needs time to return to normal, so you can sync them up.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 am 

robertscott wrote:
this is just another attempt by Andy to push his pro-rock agenda

I'm gonna write a complete rock workout. I'll get rich and famous.

At least famous.

Or not.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:03 pm 

think of the fortune to be made selling your personally branded line of lifting rocks.

with product features like "roundness" and "inconvenience".

it's a sure thing if I've ever read one.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:46 pm 

This morning I finally took the time to read both the NYT post and the article being quoted a little more carefully than I did last week. I also saw a post that Tony Gentilcore linked, by Adam Bornstein, which quotes extensively from Brad Schoenfeld. These very fit men who work with very fit clients didn't have much good to say about the article.

Here are my thoughts:

1. The article is not about a study, but is a summary discussion of the ideas behind "High Intensity Circuit Training." The authors suggest considerations that they think are important in the design of a routine, but they did not test any particular routine. The "workout" in the article is just an example of something that you can do using these principles. They quote previous studies as support for the principles. The reader should be aware that the previous studies may not be totally relevant to his or her own situation.

2. You need to realize what the suggested workout is and what it isn't. The article is not called "The 7-minute workout". That is the name given by the author of the NYT blog post. The example routine in the article takes about 7 minutes to complete (assuming 30-on, 10-rest), but the authors suggest repeating it 2 or 3 times, depending on the time available. Using "The Scientific 28-minute Workout" would not have been as appealing a title. The authors of the article do not claim that 7 minutes of high-intensity circuit training will replace a well-designed strength training or body building program. They do say that "When HICT protocols have been compared with traditional steady state protocols in the laboratory, HICT elicits similar and sometimes greater gains in V˙O2max, despite significantly lower exercise volume." Bornstein says, "The use of bodyweight does not afford this benefit, and for those who are fairly fit it would be difficult to achieve a consistent maximum level of intensity for 30 seconds that would compare to doing a similar length of time with added resistance." This is obviously true, but the authors of the ASCM article don't claim otherwise.

3. It's important to consider the population targeted. The authors are discussing using HICT for busy people who don't have time for longer exercise sessions, may not have access to equipment, or who are in situations where they can't exercise as they normally would (e.g., while traveling).

It looks to me like the popular press has inappropriately exaggerated what the article is saying. On the other hand, the critics (Bornstein, Schoenfeld) are unfairly criticizing it. They are addressing, not the contents of the actual article, but the claims of what the popular press is saying about the article. Further, they are criticising HICT because is is not what it never was claimed to be.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:51 pm 

I agree Andy. We discussed this on and off at Reddit and came to much the same conclusions. The criticism should have been aimed at Gretchen Reynolds, not the "study".

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley