ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:31 pm 
former lurker

The title sums up my question, but is there supposed to be multiple sets of each exercise in a full body or a split program? I ask since the page on this website wasn't very clear about it.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:49 pm 

Did you just ask the same question on Reddit?

http://www.reddit.com/r/gainit/comments ... _exercise/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:44 pm 

Kc1867 wrote:
...is there supposed to be...

Well, there isn't really any "supposed". Makes it sound like there is a law or something.

It's whatever you want, whatever you need, whatever you like.

Many people believe strongly in single-set training. That doesn't sound good to me, but I've never tried it. Some people swear by it. Most people do some form of multiple-set training, but the more sets you add the less difference it makes. You don't even have to do it the same way for every lift. You can do your "main" lift single-set and do your assistance lifts multiple sets. You could do your main lift 3 sets or 5 sets, then do several assistance lifts single-set.

What are your training goals? Strength? Size? Endurance? Fun? Prep for a particular sport?

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:01 am 
Novice
Novice

Kc1867 wrote:
The title sums up my question, but is there supposed to be multiple sets of each exercise in a full body or a split program? I ask since the page on this website wasn't very clear about it.

You refer to the "weight training guidelines" on the mainpage? For beginners (who never did any weight training before) they recommend doing only one workset (and a warm-up set for each exercise before the workset) on all exercises except leg exercises (like squats) where three worksets are recommended. Later its totally up to your goals... and other (strength oriented) workouts ("Starting Strength" or "StrongLifts 5x5") recommended for beginners use 3x5 or 5x5 (reps per set) for each exercise just to give another example.